Who’s ready for another fun cupcake tutorial from our swirl cupcake series collaboration with The Sprinkle Factory? Because that’s exactly what we’re back to share on the blog today. This time we’re aiming for an out of this world theme with these Chocolate Swirl Galaxy Cupcakes! Last week we shared the party ideas and supplies to go with this Outer Space party theme, but we had to come back to show you how we made these beauties!
You may remember our last swirl cupcakes, these pastel swirly Easter cupcakes, well today we are going with the exact opposite using dark yet beautiful galactic shades of black, purple, and blue frosting to coordinate with our Outer Space sprinkle mix.
Swirl Galaxy Cupcake Supplies
- Black, Purple, Blue BakeBright Cupcake Liners
- chocolate cake recipe
- blue, black, and purple buttercream frosting
- plastic wrap
- piping bag
- large round tip
- Outer Space Sprinkles
- White Nonpareil Sprinkles
How to Make Swirl Galaxy Cupcakes
- Bake your cupcakes in your BakeBright cupcake liners using any chocolate cake mix. We chose to keep with the dark color theme but any color frosting will do!
- While your cupcakes are cooling whip up a batch of buttercream frosting. Try our recipe here! Split your icing into 3 small bowls for your frosting – purple, blue, and black.
- To create the cool multi-color effect you’ll need to create a frosting “pod”. First, lay a piece of plastic wrap out on the counter. Then take turns spooning each color of icing onto the plastic one color at a time until you have about a 6 in long by 2 in high section of frosting. Use a toothpick and gently swirl the frosting a bit to help the color combined just slightly. Then roll up the pod and twist the ends. Check out this post for a close-up view of the frosting pods.
- Place a jumbo round piping tip in the piping bag. Tie one end of the frosting pod shut. The other end you can gently trim up to just before the frosting starts and gently place inside the piping bag. Pipe a little frosting onto a paper towel to get the colors started.
- Starting in the center and working your way out create a swirl of frosting, like a lollipop! While the frosting is still fresh sprinkle on your white nonpareils to create a starry effect. Then chill cupcakes in the fridge for about five minutes. You want them to be just a little bit more firm before putting the outer sprinkles on, but not too firm or the sprinkle won’t stick.
- Pour Outer space sprinkles into a bowl. Gently roll one side of the galaxy cupcakes in sprinkles. The good news about these is that you can use as little or as much as you want!
Yes, it’s that easy to create gorgeous swirly cupcakes for your galaxy party! We can’t wait to see you all give them a whirl…or maybe a swirl? Not sure how many bags of sprinkles you need? Check out our conversion How Many Sprinkles Do I Need charts for cupcakes or cakes!