Is there such a thing really? No, this isn’t an early April Fool’s joke! These square cupcakes are eye-catching, totally unique, and super simple to bake.
No difficult tools necessary—you’ll probably find most of the tools you need already at home! All you need is a square cupcake pan and cupcake baking supplies. No square cupcake liners needed here!
Do square cupcake liners exist?
On a daily basis, we get asked by customers if we carry square cupcake liners. And while it makes sense that everyone would assume you need the shapes of the liners and pan to match, you really don’t. Square cupcake liners do technically exist but the pattern options are really lacking! So, why buy them if you don’t need them?
We’ve been making square cupcake creations for years using standard round cupcake liners! As with any baking, your confection conforms to the shape of the pan. Just look at the graphic above, gorgeous right?
With just this one easy change, you get perfect edge, unique creations for your desserts.
Typical uses for square cupcakes
- If your favorite little one wants a Minecraft- or Lego themed birthday, these squared cupcakes act as fantastic “blocks.”
- Combine these cupcakes with some “refined” flavors and sprinkle mixes and you’ll have marvelously elegant treats for a wedding, bridal shower, or prom.
Square Cupcake Recipe: Ingredients & Utensils
Serves 18-24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
- Your favorite cupcake batter flavor (we have suggestions down below!)
- Your favorite frosting (ditto!)
- Our Easter Nonpareil Sprinkles (or any other mix you enjoy!)
Utensils & Other Items
- Cupcake liners
- Decorator icing bag
- Decorator tip (#1M star or jumbo open star)
- A square baking pan (we used this one from Amazon)
How To Make Square Cupcakes
No mad science here, making this square cupcake recipe is easy as pie. It’s literally just the pan that makes these different!
- Prepare your cupcake batter and frosting according to the recipes.
- Preheat oven according to the instructions on your cupcake batter recipe.
- Place the cupcake liners in the brownie bar pan.
- Add the cupcake batter to the liner, filling to ⅔ full
- Bake according to the instructions on the cupcake recipe.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes as desired.
- Decorate with Easter Nonpareil Sprinkles (or, again, your favorite sprinkle mix).
Square Cupcakes Recipe: Tips & Tricks
Obviously, we have to share our suggestions about customizing these for any occasion. Regardless of the theme, they make great pull apart cupcake cakes too!
Here are some ideas for the cupcake batter:
- Vanilla cupcakes are always a classic, and they’ll be even more classic as squares!
- Chocolate cupcakes make a sweet and delectable treat at any time of the year. (For a yummy variation, we also have a hot chocolate cupcake recipe, which tastes a bit more like wintertime!
- Valentine’s Day coming up? Your loved ones will adore our precious pink strawberry banana cupcakes! These would be adorable for birthdays or a baby shower for a little girl, too.
- When fall comes around, nothing goes down better than apple pie flavored cupcakes or even better, pumpkin cupcakes!
- We also originally posted our cinnamon maple cupcakes to celebrate fall, but we think they’d be great for any holiday or event.
- If you’re a coffee fan, we strongly recommend using the mocha cupcake recipe we’ve posted to make your square cupcakes.
Really, just read through our cupcake recipes for batter inspiration!
And here are some ideas for the frosting:
- Our buttercream frosting recipe is super simple and tasty.
- And our famous cream cheese frosting pairs amazingly with almost every flavor!
- When the holidays roll around, you might want to top your cupcakes with our peppermint frosting for a special zing or even our swirl chocolate mint frosting.
- Homemade funfetti frosting tastes better than the kind you get from the store and looks adorable at birthday parties.
- For a sweet treat on top of another sweet treat, try our cookie dough frosting.
Here are all of our frosting recipes if you want to take a closer look.
These square cupcakes will bring out your creative side, so indulge it!
Let us see your square cupcake creations!
Aren’t they the most adorable little desserts you’ve ever seen? There’s just something to enticing about desserts in a different shape that we are drawn to! Maybe we just love the sharp, angular edges.
Yes, these are fun and different. We say that about a lot of our desserts, but these square cupcakes have the added bonus of looking really, really cool as well as cute. How did your cupcakes turn out?
How will you be using them? And do you have any questions? Let us know in the comments!
Check out more sweet inspiration right here!
- Easy Strawberry Banana Cupcake Recipe
- Simple Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcake Recipe
- Hi Hat Cupcake Tutorial
- Hot Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- Cake Pizza Tutorial
- Ombre Cupcake Tutorial
Square Cupcakes Tutorial
Square cupcakes are an elegant change to the normal round shape of cupcakes. Learn how to make square cupcakes with a square cupcake pan and other cupcake supplies including our sprinkles and greaseproof cupcake liners of course.
- ● Cupcake Batter - your favorite flavor
- ● Frosting - your favorite
- ● Decorator Icing Bag
- ● Decorator Tip
- Preheat oven according to instructions on recipe
- Place cupcake liners in brownie bar square baking pan
- Add cupcake batter to liner filling to ⅔ full
- Bake according to instructions on recipe
- Remove from oven and cool completely
- Frost cupcakes as desired
- Decorate with Easter Nonpareil Sprinkles
- Square Cupcake Pan Used here
- Tip #1M star piping tip
- Teal Cupcake Liners
- Easter Nonpareils
Hi. What’s the size of the liner you used? Thank you
Hello! We used our standard size liners on this post. So fun right?!
Wow!!!! Mindblowing lol. Thanks for the tip.
Right?! Tricky tricky! 😉