Topped with cream cheese frosting and perfectly decorated sprinkles, these Red Velvet Cupcakes are unlike any dessert you’ve ever tried. These cupcakes are perfect for Christmas or Valentine’s Day!
We know that Christmas is right around the corner. With that being said, these Red Velvet Cupcakes are a great and festive way to make a holiday dessert. If you’ve never made anything with Red Velvet, you are going to fall in love with this flavor of cupcake. You might even consider making an extra batch or two of these cupcakes! These cupcakes also work really well for Valentine’s Day!
How to Make Red Velvet Cupcakes
As much as we’d love to chat with you for hours about this recipe, these Red Velvet Cupcakes need to be made and we’re here to show you how. The Sweets and Treats blog is always posting amazing desserts and this is yet another one for you to enjoy.
You’ll also enjoy these Red Velvet Cakesicles and these Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies Recipe [4 Ingredients!]!
To make these delicious Red Velvet Cupcakes you’ll need…
- Red velvet cake mix: You can’t make these cupcakes without red velvet cake mix!
- Buttermilk: The buttermilk makes the cupcakes so perfectly soft.
- Large eggs: You’ll need 3 large eggs, just make sure they’re at room temperature prior to baking.
- Oil: This is a vital wet ingredient for making cupcakes.
- Sour cream: Trust us on this ingredient, sour cream makes the best cupcakes!
- Vanilla: The perfect amount of sweetness comes from the vanilla.
For the frosting, we help you make your very own cream cheese frosting. It’s the BEST frosting to go on these cupcakes and you can get the full homemade Cream Cheese Frosting recipe right on the blog.
- Cupcake liners- Red Damask: The cupcake liners are needed for this recipe!
- Cupcake pan – If you don’t have a cupcake pan yet, now is your chance to get one.
- Large mixing bowl – Since we’re making a lot of cupcakes, we’re going to need a large mixing bowl.
- Decorator bags – Choose whichever decorator bags that you’d like!
- Piping Tip – You’ll need the Wilton 1M!
- Sprinkles- You can purchase the Red Sugar Sprinkles right in our shop!
Make sure you check out the Sweets and Treats shop for buying everything you need to make Christmas and Valentine’s Day Desserts.
How to Make Best Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and add cupcake liners to pan.
Mix the ingredients together and prepare the cupcakes.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the buttermilk, eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla. Add cake mix and mix on medium speed until completely smooth. Add batter into cupcake liners, and fill the liners up ¾ way.
Allow the cupcakes to bake.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Bake the cupcakes and prepare the frosting.
While cupcakes are baking, prepare cream cheese frosting. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
Have fun decorating the cupcakes.
Decorate with cream cheese frosting and add sprinkles or other decorations. You can decorate the cupcakes a lot or keep them simple, It’s your choice.
Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe: FAQs
How long does it take to make the cupcakes?
from start to finish, these cupcakes will take around 40 minutes!
How many cupcakes does this recipe make?
The exciting part of this recipe is that it makes 18-24 cupcakes! That is plenty to share with friends and family.
Why do my eggs need to be at room temperature prior to baking?
Eggs will cream together easier when they are at room temperature.
Did you enjoy making these Red Velvet Cupcakes?
The great thing about these Red Velvet Cupcakes is that you can make them for Christmas or Valentine’s Day! If you decided to make these cupcakes, please leave a comment below and let us know what you thought. These cupcakes are perfectly sweet and we can’t wait for you to try them! Check out the cakesicle and cookie version of this flavor!
Other cupcakes you’ll adore on Sweets and Treats…
If you love making cupcakes, then here are more recipes for you to try!
…or even just take a look at the cupcakes section of our blog!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes are easy and fun to make for Christmas or Valentine's Day
- 1 box (15.2 oz) red velvet cake mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and add cupcake liners to pan
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the buttermilk, eggs, oil, sour cream and vanilla.
3. Add cake mix and mix on medium speed until completely smooth.
4. Add batter into cupcake liners, fill the liners up ¾ way.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. While cupcakes are baking, prepare cream cheese frosting
10. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack.
11. Decorate with cream cheese frosting and add sprinkles or other decorations.