If you want a sweet recipe that’s both creative and utterly adorable, our pumpkin spice hot chocolate bombs are definitely up to snuff. As the seasons change and the weather cools down, we bet that curling up with these delicious hot cocoa bombs will hit the spot.
We know what you’re thinking…
“Hot chocolate bombs? Those sound amazing…but potentially dangerous…and very messy.”
They are indeed amazing! (Dangerous, no. Messy, maybe.) You’ve heard of shower bombs and bath bombs, right? Little spheres of soap and other good-smelling substances that you throw under hot water to melt? This is a similar idea!
Basically, with this pumpkin spice hot chocolate bomb recipe, you’ll be creating a chocolate sphere with hot cocoa inside. Put it in a mug and pour hot milk on it and voila! A steaming hot cup of cocoa goodness. In particular, this “bomb” is flavored with pumpkin spice, as well. The perfect little treat for autumn, no?
If this is your first time making hot chocolate bombs, check out our tutorial for the exact steps. They are super easy to make!
Of course, now you’re probably thinking…
“Making bath bombs is a little complicated. Is making hot chocolate bombs the same?”
Not at all—we promise! You can throw this recipe together in less than 15 minutes and the only truly unusual thing you’ll need is our Chocolate Cocoa Bomb Mold. This mold will help you create the round ‘bomb’ shape, and you’ll have adorable hot cocoa treats before long!
Now for the recipe…
What does it take to create these delightful hot cocoa bombs? As it turns out…not much! You’ll only need a few sweets and hot cocoa mix, plus some standard supplies and our Chocolate Cocoa Bomb Mold.
- Pumpkin spice candy melts: These will form the exterior of your hot chocolate bombs. You’ll put the hot cocoa mix inside!
- Hot cocoa mix: Can’t have hot chocolate bombs without the hot chocolate, of course. As stated, these go inside your bombs. When the bombs melt, you get the hot cocoa!
- White chocolate candy melts and sprinkles: You’ll use these to decorate your bombs. Scroll down to see our section on suggested sprinkles to use!
- Mini marshmallows: Is it really hot cocoa without mini marshmallows?!
- Chocolate Cocoa Bomb Mold: How do you make the “bomb” shape? Easy: with our cocoa bomb mold!
- Paintbrush or spoon: For getting the melted chocolate into the bomb mold with no fuss.
- Plastic squeeze bottle: To drizzle on the melted white chocolate at the end of the recipe.
A few answers to questions we commonly get about this recipe…
How many bombs does this recipe make?
If you follow the instructions exactly, 3 bombs!
How long does it take to put this recipe together?
About 15 minutes.
Do you recommend any particular kind of hot cocoa mix?
Use your favorite!
Can you use other add-ins or other flavors for the chocolate shell?
Yes, but be aware it won’t be a pumpkin spice hot chocolate bomb anymore! See the section below for inspiration.
The best part of any post on this blog is the inspiration section! Need any ideas on how to decorate your hot chocolate bombs? Here we are…
For the sprinkles, we recommend using:
As for add-ins and flavors, experiment with:
- Oreo bits
- Mint chocolate
- Orange chocolate
- Caramel syrup
- Sea salt
- Candy corn
- Chopped candy bars
- Chopped peanut butter cups
You can also use colored chocolate if you want to get extra festive!
Isn’t this recipe so creative? We can guarantee your loved ones have never had hot cocoa bombs…and if they have, they’ve never had hot cocoa bombs quite like this! Comment down below with your thoughts on this recipe. Play around with different shapes and sizes of molds like these.
Did you enjoy it? Make any changes? Did you have trouble with any part of the instructions? We’d love to hear from you!
Fall is the best time for certain flavors…you know exactly the ones we’re talking about. And if you need delicious treats suitable for those cooler weather months, check out:
- Apple Pie Cupcakes (w/ Salted Caramel Frosting)
- Fall Maple Cinnamon Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
- Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Nachos Recipe
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- ● Pumpkin spice candy melts
- ● White chocolate candy melts
- ● Hot cocoa mix
- ● Sprinkles
- ● Mini marshmallows
- ● Chocolate Mold Cocoa Bomb
- ● Paintbrush or spoon
- ● Plastic squeeze bottle
- Add pumpkin spice candy melts to a small microwave safe bowl, heat for 30 seconds, stir and continue heating for 10-20 seconds at a time until chocolate is almost melted. Remove from the microwave and stir until completely melted.
- Spoon a small amount of chocolate into the mold
- Using the paintbrush or the back of a spoon spread the chocolate evenly around the mold, making sure to get all the way up to the edges
- Allow chocolate to harden and repeat layering on more chocolate until you have done about 3-4 layers
- Allow chocolate to completely harden for at least 10 minutes then gently remove from the mold
- Heat a microwave safe plate in microwave for 1-2 minutes, remove
- Place one half of the chocolate shells, open side down, onto the plate to melt the rim
- Remove and fill with 2 teaspoons of hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows
- Melt the rim of the second half of the chocolate shells
- Quickly place the two open ends together and smooth out any extra chocolate around the seam
- Set aside and allow to dry 5-10 minutes then decorate ** see below
- Place in a mug and pour hot milk over the top to melt and reveal the hot chocolate mix, sprinkles and marshmallows.
- Add a small amount of white candy melts to a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds, stir and continue heating for 10-20 seconds at a time until chocolate is almost melted.
- Remove from the microwave and stir until completely melted
- Transfer to plastic squeeze bottle and drizzle melted chocolate over bombs
- Add sprinkles for decoration