Pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin pies, move aside! Quick and easy pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting like the ones in this recipe will become one of your new favorite desserts this fall, especially if you have loved ones to entertain or a party to attend.
At the time of writing, fall is approaching, and you all know precisely what that means…
Pumpkin-flavored everything! Here at Sweets and Treats, we refuse to judge anyone based on how much they love their pumpkin desserts at this time of year. Recipes with pumpkin are just so incredible, especially combined with fall/winter-type spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves…our mouths are watering just thinking about it.
So, of course, we have to introduce you all today to one of our favorite autumn recipes: pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting! In a little under an hour, you can put together 48 (or so) sweet and tasty pumpkin bars and the accompanying frosting. Impress everyone with your baking skills this fall and scroll down to learn more!
Pumpkin Bars Recipe: Ingredients & Utensils
You’ll only need to gather up your typical baking supplies and a few other small additions for this lovely autumn recipe!
- Flour, baking soda, salt, oil, baking powder, eggs: All standard parts of a baking recipe!
- Sugar: To sweeten the pumpkin, of course.
- Solid pack pumpkin: Note that this is pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling! We’ll be providing our own sweetness in this recipe.
For the frosting…
- Clear vanilla: You can use regular vanilla extract, but the clear vanilla will keep the frosting white!
- Unsalted butter: Helps with the consistency of the frosting.
- Powdered sugar: Provides sweetness.
- Cream cheese, softened: The bulk of the recipe!You can purchase an 8 oz block of cream cheese and cut it to get your 3 ounces.
In this recipe, we’re also using our Fat Pants Sprinkle Mix to decorate the top of the bars! Why celebrate autumn if you can’t celebrate it in style?
- Plastic decorator bag: This makes it easier to pipe frosting onto your bars.
- Bowls: For mixing the batter and, later, the frosting.
- 15x10x1 inch baking sheet, cooking spray, etc: Standard baking supplies!
In this recipe, as you’ve seen, we’re using the extremely adorable Fat Pants Sprinkle Mix to decorate our pumpkin bars. However, if you’d like to make some alternative versions for Thanksgiving or Halloween, or simply want more options, try…
- Crispy Fall Sprinkles or Apple Cider Sprinkle Mix as other autumn sprinkle options
- Corn Field Mix or Crispy Halloween Mix for Halloween
- Totem Pole Mix for Thanksgiving
- School Days Mix for back-to-school bars!
A few answers to questions we commonly get about this recipe…
How many bars does this recipe make?
About 48. Perfect for a small gathering, since they’ll go quickly, trust us!
How long does it take to make these pumpkin squares?
10 minutes for prep, and 20-30 minutes for baking. Sweet treats in under an hour = A+ in our book!
Are there other toppings you recommend for these bars?
Other than the Fat Pants Sprinkle Mix, candy corn, chopped nuts, and/or chocolate chips taste great as toppings!
How do I store these bars?
They’ll stay ‘good’ in an airtight container for 3-4 days, and similarly, they’ll taste fine out of the freezer for 3 months. We recommend frosting them after storing them. And don’t leave them out for longer than a few hours…they’ll lose their moisture. Crumbly, dry pumpkin bars = ick!
Can I use a smaller pan?
Yes, if you want thicker bars! Just be aware that your batter will take longer to bake.
Honestly, this is one of our favorite recipes ever…not because little bars are always super cute (though they are) but because pumpkin anything is the most amazing at this time of year. Let us know in the comments if you agree, and if this pumpkin bar recipe is the best you’ve ever had!
Fall is the best time for certain flavors…you know exactly the ones we’re talking about. And if you need delicious treats suitable for those cooler weather months, check out:
- Apple Pie Cupcakes (w/ Salted Caramel Frosting)
- Fall Maple Cinnamon Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
- Apple Nachos Recipe
- Hot Cocoa Bombs
- ● 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ● 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ● 1 teaspoon salt
- ● 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ● 1 ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- ● 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- ● 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ● 1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- ● 1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, softened ** see notes
- ● ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ● 2 cups powdered sugar
- ● 1 teaspoon clear vanilla ** see notes
- ● Fat Pants Sprinkle Mix from Fall Collection
- ● Plastic decorator icing bag fitted with a large star tip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 15x10x1 inch baking sheet with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugar until well combined
- Add the eggs and pumpkin
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until well combined
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack
- In a large bowl beat butter and cream cheese until smooth
- Gradually add powdered sugar until well combined
- Add clear vanilla and beat until smooth
- Cream Cheese - you can purchase a 8 oz block
of cream cheese and cut it for the 3 ounces
- Clear vanilla - you can use regular vanilla
extract, the clear vanilla will keep the frosting white