Check out our peppermint chocolate frosting recipe! This silky, smooth cupcake icing is going to win you over, we just know it.
When you think of peppermint frosting, don’t you think of glorious bright white colors and pops of crushed candies? We like to buck trends around here and forge our own path. So, why not a dark shade of delicious?
There’s just something about chocolate and mint that we love so much especially around Christmas time. If you love these two flavors together, this cupcake icing is for you!
Sometimes you want a chocolate on chocolatey cupcake flavor palate, so we tweaked it a little for all the Christmas feels!
We recommend our homemade chocolate cupcakes recipe as a base for this icing. With these delicious flavors, any of your favorite cupcake recipes.
How To Make Peppermint Chocolate Frosting
Chocolate Peppermint Frosting Ingredients
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
Chocolate Peppermint Frosting Steps
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter on medium speed until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together confectioner’s sugar and cocoa powder. We do this step to make the frosting smooth and easier to mix.
- Add cocoa/confectioner’s sugar mixture, alternating with milk or heavy cream.
- Add vanilla and peppermint extracts and beat well until the buttercream frosting is light and fluffy
- Frost cooled chocolate cake or cupcakes, then top with sprinkles or peppermint candies.
As with any of our cupcake icing recipes, this one is creamy, delicious, and oh so easy to make! Enjoy the holiday flavors and have fun changing up the topping for your sweets to match your upcoming events!
Pull up a chair and enjoy a mug of hot cocoa and your freshly made Christmas dessert. Now, that’s a sweet treat Santa would love to have waiting for him Christmas Eve night!