Ever wondered how to make ombre cupcakes? How to color cake batter? You know…the kind that’ll draw out gasps of surprise and delight from your guests and loved ones because they’re so unexpectedly cool?
Here is our very own blue ombre cupcake recipe and tutorial. Whipping up pretty ombre cakes has never been easier!
You’ve probably seen these multi color cupcakes before: when grouped together, the color of the cake slowly “fades” to white in a gradient. It’s certainly striking, and at first glance, it may seem like an advanced baking technique. Making an ombre cupcake is incredibly simple with our tutorial, though! It’s very similar to our post on coloring buttercream frosting too just with batter. We had to show blue some love after all those pink colors in the buttercream post!
Ombre Effect Cupcakes Tutorial
Yield: 18-24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
- Cupcake batter (vanilla is the best here!)
- Gel Food coloring (liquid gel coloring is best!)
- Frosting – any will do but we used our ombre frosting technique
Utensils & Other Items
- Decorator icing bag
- Decorator tip
- Cupcake liners
- Cupcake pan
- Bowls (as many as the number of shades you want in your ombre coloring!)
How To Make Ombre Cupcakes
- Preheat oven according to the instructions on the batter recipe whether scratch or cake mix, it won’t effect the outcome.
- Place liners in a cupcake pan.
- Mix cupcakes and divide the batter into a few separate bowls (see above).
- Add a small amount of coloring to each bowl or piping bag for less mess. You’ll want to add a little more to each bowl to create the different color shades.
- Add cupcake batter to the liner, filling to ⅔ full.
- Bake according to instructions on the batter recipe.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes as desired. We matched the ombre batter to the ombre frosting for the full ombre effect!
- Decorate with sprinkles! (Suggestions below!)
Cake Decorating Suggestions
You know what time it is, everyone…the best part of the blog post is coming at you: our decoration suggestion section! If you need some inspiration for your ombre cupcakes, here’s our list of awesome sprinkles, liners, and more to make your next party amazing!
- Winter cupcakes: If it’s still cold in your neck of the woods, Frost Bite sprinkles, red and/or light blue food coloring, and our solid white liners would make for a pretty treat.
- St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes: Celebrate your Irish heritage with Irish Luck sprinkle mix, yellow food coloring, and solid forest liners!
- Easter/Spring cupcakes: Use lime rugby stripe liners with our Melon Ball sprinkle mix, as well as pink and/or green food coloring for the ombre and/or the frosting!
- Summer cupcakes: As it gets warmer, bring out the Sour Punch sprinkle mix, orange and/or light green food coloring, and solid lime green liners!
- Patriotic cupcakes: On July 4th, bring out navy and red quatrefoil liners, navy and/or red food coloring, and Stars and Stripes sprinkle mix.
Blue Ombre Cupcakes Recipe Tips & Tricks
And now for another helpful section: tips and tricks to make these cupcakes perfectly. Avoid all the mess and read this section for help!
What cupcake batter do you recommend for this recipe?
Vanilla is best, as we said, which is good because we have a fantastic recipe for it right here. With vanilla batter, you’ll actually be able to see the colors/ombre properly!
And what kind of frosting do you recommend?
If you don’t want the ombre effect to extend to the frosting like we did here, use any you’d like! In the section above we have a lot of suggestions that include dyeing frosting…with that, we recommend vanilla or buttercream or any other light-colored frosting.
How did you like this ombre cupcake recipe?
Multi color cupcakes seem like they’d be super difficult to make, right? They’re just so gorgeous to look at! But as you can see…they’re quite simple if you have a good tutorial.
Now that you know how to make ombre cupcakes, leave us a comment with your thoughts! Did yours turn out lovely (and scrumptious as all get-out)? Or did you have a bit of trouble with the recipe? Let us know!
We have lots more to discover on Sweets and Treats!
Not feeling ombre today? Or just in the need of more cupcake recipes? That’s our specialty! For further cupcake-y goodness, check out: