Hey y’all! It’s our favorite time of the year, MARDI GRAS TIME! Coming from Louisiana you know we celebrate for months and get out of school for a week. With any celebration here at Sweets & Treats, there will be cupcakes of course so stick around and we’ll show you how to make these festive King Cake Mardi Gras cupcakes. We had to stick to the traditional colors because of their meaning. Did you know that the the purple represents justice, green represents faith, and the gold represents power? Gotta love the history and all.the.parades. Have any of you come down and celebrated by attending any Mardi Gras parades? We’d love to hear what you thought about it!
What we love about Kings Cake is, of course, the surprise inside. Sure these Mardi Gras cupcakes might look special on the outside, but just like traditional Kings cake, there’s a baby hidden inside! Just don’t forget to tell your guest so they can be on the lookout. What a fun twist to the King Cake tradition that is easier to serve to guests who are on the way.
Mardi Gras King Cake Cupcake Supplies
- Yellow Dot, Solid Purple, Green Stripe cupcake liners
- yellow cake recipe
- green, yellow, and purple buttercream frosting
- plastic wrap
- piping bag
- large round tip
- Mardi Gras Sprinkles
- Mardi Gras kings cake plastic babies
How to Make King Cake Mardi Gras Cupcakes
1. Bake your cupcakes in your BakeBright cupcake liners using any white or yellow cake mix. Don’t forget to hide a baby in one!
2. While your cupcakes are cooling whip up a batch of buttercream frosting. Try our recipe here! Color your frosting yellow, purple, and green.
3. To create the cool multi-color effect you’ll need to create an icing “pod”. First, lay a piece of plastic wrap out on the counter. Then spoon some yellow, green, and purple icing on to the plastic wrap. We like to do so in strips side by side. (Each color is about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long.) Then roll up the pod and twist the ends like in the photo above. The key is to make sure that the colors are for the most part even and consistent all the way down.
4. Place a jumbo round piping tip in the piping bag. Tie one end of the icing pod shut. The other end you can gently trim up to just before the icing starts and gently place inside the piping bag. Pipe a little icing onto a paper towel to get the colors started.
5. Starting in the center and working your way out create a swirl of icing, like a lollipop! Chill cupcakes in the fridge for about five minutes. You want them to be just a little bit more firm before putting the sprinkles on, but not too firm.
6. Pour King Cake sprinkles into a bowl. Gently roll one side of the cupcakes in sprinkles. Finish with Mardi Gras cupcake toppers if you would like! We chose a mix of fleur de lis cupcake toppers and crown cupcake toppers for this batch. What perfect Mardi Gras sweets!
Another fun twist on these Mardi Gras cupcakes is just to use a traditional jumbo open star piping tip using the three color frosting technique. We love how a different piping tip can make all the difference! For a full party supplies listing, check out our Mardi Gras Party Supplies blog post! Not sure how many bags of sprinkles you need? Check out our conversion How Many Sprinkles Do I Need charts for cupcakes or cakes!
SHOP THESE KING CAKE MARDI GRAS CUPCAKE SUPPLIES!
Cupcake Liners – Yellow Dot, Solid Purple, Green Stripe
Sprinkles – Royal Court, King Cake
Love These King Cake Mardi Gras Cupcakes? Check Some Other Cupcake Inspiration!
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- Cookie Dough Cookie Monster Cupcakes
- Tractor Cupcakes
- Best Cupcake Frosting Recipe