With the back-to-school season right around the corner, we know you want to make sure the kids in your life have a good breakfast each morning. These back-to-school-themed homemade pancakes are the quickest, easiest, and cutest way to feed your little ones and have fun doing it.
There are probably thousands of recipes to make homemade pancake batter out there on the internet, but we can guarantee that few of them are as adorable as this one! With our school-themed sprinkles in primary colors, you’ll create a memorable breakfast for your tiny scholars in less than an hour.
As always, this recipe requires nothing out-of-the-ordinary, too. Not on the ingredients or utensils list. It’s all very easy! If you have some measuring cups, a griddle or skillet, and a few standard ingredients, you’re well on your way to making super fluffy, super cute pancakes from scratch.
Let’s dive in!
Homemade Pancakes Recipe: Ingredients & Utensils
Here’s a section explaining a bit about the ingredients and tools we’ll be using in this recipe. It’s all very basic, so if you’ve never made fluffy pancakes from scratch before, no worries—this will all seem familiar!
These will ensure your pancakes come out like ours! If you successfully use any substitutions in this recipe, though, we’d love to hear about it in the comments.
- Flour: You have two main options here! All-purpose or wheat flour will do the trick.
- Eggs: Standard in many pancake recipes.
- Salt: Table salt is fine to use.
- Oil: We recommend vegetable oil or canola oil for this recipe.
- Sugar: Any sugar or sugar substitute should work here, more or less. We used white granulated sugar in particular.
- Baking powder: This special little ingredient fluffs up your pancakes like whoa!
- Buttermilk: It’s best to buy your buttermilk, but if you want to make it homemade, we have a method listed down in the FAQs section.
- Sprinkles: To put in the batter or on top of the pancakes when finished. Absolutely essential for cute pancakes! In this post, we’re making some delightful back-to-school pancakes, so we recommend picking up some school-themed sprinkles right here on Sweets and Treats.
- Ice cream scoop: Trust us, this is one of the easiest ways to pour the batter. You can also use a measuring cup.
- Small measuring cup, measuring spoons, whisk, etc: The standard tools for cooking or baking most delicious recipes!
- Spatula: To flip the pancakes, of course!
- Large mixing bowl: For mixing the batter.
- Electric griddle or large skillet: The most simple way to cook up the best fluffy pancakes. Make sure to use non-stick cooking spray!
How To Make Homemade Pancakes From Scratch: FAQs
Is there a way to make buttermilk at home?
Yes. You can put 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar into a measuring cup, then add milk until it’s 3/4ths full. Wait a few minutes until the milk has curdled, and you have yourself homemade buttermilk!
Are there alternatives to using buttermilk?
Yes! Any kind of milk will do, even almond milk. The recipe should turn out more or less the same. We just recommend buttermilk for the slightly tangy flavor it brings to homemade pancakes. (You probably know what we mean!)
Can I use gluten-free flour for this recipe?
If you have a special dietary need and require gluten-free flour, we can’t guarantee the recipe will come out the same. You might want to experiment or look up a specifically gluten-free recipe instead. Let us know in the comments if you try it!
Homemade Pancakes: Variations
In this post, we’re making wonderful back-to-school-themed pancakes with our special line of sprinkles. In particular, we recommend using:
- A sprinkle type in each primary color (yellow, green, red, and blue) or
- A single sprinkle type in each primary color (all the Jimmies, all the Luxe Dust, etc).
We also suggest adding the ABC 123 sprinkles or using the Prime Time mix! In general, though, we’d love to see you get creative with any sprinkles on that list.
If you’re reading this at any other time of the year, well…for other occasions, here’s a little sprinkle inspiration!
- Our Halloween crispy sprinkles mix is great for spooky pancakes.
- Our patriotic crispy sprinkles mix would look great for a 4th of July breakfast.
- Make tasty birthday pancakes with our birthday cake mix.
How did you like these homemade pancakes?
Were the instructions easy to follow? Did you have any trouble with the ingredients or with substitutions? And how did your family enjoy the recipe? As always, we’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment down below!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you’ll also adore…
…any of our other recipes that go great with the back-to-school season or any fall occasion! Check out:
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- Maple Cinnamon Cupcakes
- Homemade Trail Mix (a wonderful snack to send to school with the kids!)
- Funfetti Puppy Chow (ditto!)
- Chocolate Covered Bananas
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Parfait Recipe
- Apple Shaped Mini Cakes Recipe
Homemade Pancakes Recipe
Breakfast doesn't have to be boring! Serve these fun homemade pancakes for school days.
- ● 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ● 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ● 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ● ½ teaspoon salt
- ● 1 large egg
- ● ¾ cup milk
- ● 2 tablespoons oil, vegetable or canola
- ● Sprinkles
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Add egg, milk and oil
- Whisk to combine well
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees F, spray with cooking spray if necessary
- Divide batter on griddle. I like using an ice cream scoop
- Add sprinkles on top of each pancake
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until slightly set and golden brown on the bottom
- Flip and continue cooking until golden brown
- Remove and serve immediately with whip cream and additional sprinkles