Everyone adores bath bombs, so why not make edible hot chocolate bombs too? In particular, these Halloween hot chocolate bombs will bring a lot of festive cheer to just about any autumn- or spooky-themed party. They’re simple to make, too: just a little bit of hot cocoa, candy melts, some of your favorite sprinkles, and an easy-to-use chocolate bomb mold!
We all know them and love them. If you don’t: think powdery balls of soap and good-smelling things that dissolve when you chuck them into the bath, sometimes releasing more good-smelling things, or moisturizer, or even a toy.
Here at Sweets and Treats, we use bath bombs after just about every recipe we create and perfect. And so we thought…what if we made edible “bombs”? Thus, our Halloween hot chocolate bomb was born!
It’s the same concept as our Pumpkin Spice version: a tasty orb you throw into a mug with a hot liquid of your choice. Then it dissolves into a wonderful Halloween treat! Offer these to your guests or your little ones, or dish them out to lucky trick-or-treaters. Alternatively, make these any other time of the year—they’d double as great Harry Potter hot chocolate bombs, for example.
All in all, they’re versatile and they’re fun and, honestly, what more could you want at Halloween? Let’s talk more about them…
If you have access to a grocery store (and this website), you have access to everything you’ll need for Halloween cocoa bombs! You are basically following the same steps as our original cocoa bomb post except swapping all thing Fall out for all things Halloween!
- Candy melts: In Halloween colors like green, purple, orange, or black…or any color you like, for any other time of the year! You’ll use these to form the outer shell of your hot cocoa bomb and to drizzle on top of the bombs for decoration after.
- Hot cocoa mix: Can’t have hot cocoa bombs without cocoa mix, of course. When the bomb melts, this mix is released into the mug.
- Our Halloween Sprinkles: Choose your favorites! These go inside your bombs and release as the bomb melts. We recommend our Candy Eyes alongside something else nice and spooky, like our Candy Bones or Candy Bats.
- Mini marshmallows: These go hidden inside your bombs alongside the sprinkles!
- Our Halloween Edible Toppers: Edible…toppers? Yes, you heard us correctly. We’ve printed ghosts, pumpkins, and other Halloween-themed “stickers” on edible wafer paper, and while it’s totally optional, we think these look adorable as all get out on hot cocoa bombs.
- Our Chocolate Mold Cocoa Bomb: Creating the spherical shape for the bomb has never been easier than with our mold!
- Paintbrush or spoon: Optional, but makes it simpler to get the chocolate into your bomb mold.
- Plastic squeeze bottle or disposable decorator bag: Also optional, but again, these are tools that will help a lot with decorating, etc.
We’ve gathered up a few questions we’ve gotten about this recipe right here!
How long does it take to make hot cocoa bombs?
For this recipe…about 10-15 minutes, give or take. It’s very quick for such a fun treat!
How many bombs does this recipe make?
About 3. Obviously, you can increase everything to make more, though! (And you’re so going to want to make more.) Still, the recipe as-written is great if you only need a few for a gift or a goodie bag.
What other additions do you recommend for the inside of the bombs?
Feel free to experiment with caramel or pumpkin spice, or even cinnamon. Anything that would taste good in hot cocoa, really!
You know our Halloween hot cocoa bombs will go over explosively with your besties, loved ones, and kids. (Terrible joke, we know, but we had to make it.) Comment down below if you agree, and let us know how this recipe worked out for you! Was it easy? Difficult? Did you have any suggestions for improvements or substitutions? Let us know!
We know we say this about every holiday, but Halloween may just be our favorite time of year. It’s the best season to really get creative with your desserts and snacks! If you feel the same way, let us show you a few more bits of Halloween and autumn goodness, like…