Time for another quick, easy, and most of all fun snack recipe! The sweet treat of the day: Funfetti puppy chow! Just a few ingredients (cereal, powdered sugar…) and you’ll have the perfect anytime treat. We know you’ll love this recipe!
What is puppy chow? No, we haven’t expanded our blog into pet treat recipes! You may also know this indulgent little snack as “muddy buddies.” It’s Chex cereal covered in chocolate (or sometimes peanut butter) and cake mix or powdered sugar. And it’s simple as all get-out to throw together!
You may think that this recipe calls for Funfetti cake mix. Not so! Today we’re using white chocolate chips and powdered sugar. The Funfetti part comes from our delightful and oh-so-adorable rainbow nonpareil sprinkles. By the end of this recipe, you’ll have a few cups of a birthday-themed (or anytime-themed) snack that everyone will love.
Let’s dig in!
Funfetti Puppy Chow Ingredients & Utensils
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 2 min
Makes 5 cups
- 4 ½ cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar (or funfetti cake batter)
- ⅔ cup of our nonpareil rainbow sprinkles
Utensils & Other Items
- Large microwave safe bowl
- Heavy saucepan
- Parchment paper (optional)
- Resealable bag
How To Make Puppy Chow Recipe With Chex
- Pour Chex into a very large bowl.
- In a heavy saucepan, stir together chocolate chips, heavy cream, and butter.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate over cereal and stir together gently.
- Spread mixture onto parchment paper on baking sheet (this is optional, but it’s easier to add the sprinkles evenly this way!).
- Cool slightly for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sprinkles and stir gently to combine until cereal is coated.
- Next, add mixture to large resealable plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar to bag, seal the bag, and shake to coat. (If you have little ones, grab them for this part. They’ll love to help!)
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
Funfetti Puppy Chow Recipe Variations
Here’s the best part of any Sweets and Treats post…the variations and decoration tips! If you need more suggestions, look here.
If you want to make this with different cereal…go for it! The recipe should still work, though some of the ingredients may stick to the cereal as well as with Chex. We think Cheerios (any kind), Rice Krispies, or Frosted Flakes would taste the best. But you know we always encourage experimenting! By the way, other types of Chex will work too, such as the corn-based variety.
If you want to use different sprinkles for different holidays…we support that! We have a wide variety of nonpareils on our store, including:
- Christmas nonpareils for the winter season…
- Patriotic nonpareils for the 4th of July…
- Fall nonpareils for Halloween and Thanksgiving…
- Light blue or light pink nonpareils for a baby shower…
- Lime green and gold for springtime prettiness…
- And white and teal nonpareils for a sea-themed occasion!
If you’ve heard of this recipe using vanilla extract or almond extract…it’s not necessary here! Although if you want to add a teaspoon or so for a little vanilla-y kick!
If you’ve heard of this recipe using peanut butter…feel free to exchange that out for the chocolate, although of course, it’ll taste a little different! (Maybe that’s what you want, though. Yum yum, peanut butter goodness!) Peanut butter and chocolate are a dream team after all.
Did you enjoy this recipe for Funfetti puppy chow?
Don’t you just adore a quick and tasty little treat like this? Puppy chow is just the best for any get-together you can imagine…or just to snack on at home.
Comment down below with your thoughts on this puppy chow recipe! Did you adore it? How did it inspire you to get creative? Or did you leave anything out or use substitutions? We always want to hear from you!
We have lots more to discover on Sweets & Treats!
You KNOW we’ve got a million and one recipes to try here on the blog! Well, maybe not that many…but quite a few, and you’ll love them all! Check out…