It’s no secret we love baking cookies. Today’s post is all about the sprinkles and having them in our favorite baked desserts! These confetti cookies can be made from scratch or using a cake mix. Both funfetti cookies recipe ideas are below!
Funfetti sweets are a hands-down winner in the shop and in our homes so it’s only natural we love to share different sprinkle cookie recipe ideas here on the blog like these lemon, red velvet, or these strawberry ones.
There’s just something about sprinkles on top of cookies that get us so excited! While the other flavors are great for a regular occasion, we had to bring you one for those very special days, the kind that only come around once a year.
Today’s easy recipe just might be our most favorite ever, whether from the cake mix or from scratch, you are going to love this recipe!
What Are Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies?
Everyday is somebody’s birthday right? Sometimes baking and icing a cake is way too much work to do in a pinch. Storage, keeping cool, and you don’t want anybody keeping your cake container do you? They are the ever popular sprinkle cookies just from a boxed mix.
Seriously though, it’s somebody’s birthday every day so these cookies are a great way to celebrate a special occasion without taking up too much room. This recipe is basically a birthday cake in itty bitty, tiny size. Easy to carry, present, and store!
This Funfetti cake mix cookies recipe was inspired by our new sprinkles and our love for, well, the namesake! Since the moment we created this new colorful sprinkle mix we wanted to create lots of birthday treats with it.
With all the bright colors and cute little white star quins, these sprinkles scream happiness, but then again so does a birthday cake. Match made in heaven if you ask us.
And here is our very first treat with the new sprinkle blend, so grab some NEW birthday rainbow sprinkles, the Funfetti cake mix cookies recipe below, and bake up some happy birthday magic!
Can I Use White Cake Mix For These Cookies?
For this recipe, we have used white and Funfetti interchangeably. White will allow our rainbow sprinkles to be front and center but a Funfetti box that already has them mixed in would be perfect for our sprinkles to be rolled in or perfectly topped on. Is there even such a thing as too many sprinkles??
These cake mix cookies taste just like your favorite Funfetti Cookies but with long, crunch jimmies mixed in or topped with! It’s the best of both birthday worlds! And we all know how much everyone love the classic cake batter flavor.
The good thing about these types of cookies is that you can mix as much or as little of the sprinkles inside of the mix and for the topping as well. Play around with the amounts for the perfect look for your upcoming event! These would be perfect for a coworker birthday celebration too! Change up by picking a different flavor of box mix and different sprinkles for a concoction all your own.
Which funfetti cookie recipe is the best?
Well, that depends on your taste. We find the funfetti cake mix cookies are more cakey which is what you would expect by the name. They are lighter compared to the from scratch recipe which is more dense.
We listed this cake mix cookies recipe first because it’s the easiest. Which is extremely helpful if you are throwing it together for a last minute shindig.
To make funfetti cake mix cookies, you only need to mix the box mix according to instructions and add our birthday cake sprinkles to the batter, roll the scooped dough in the sprinkles, and bake! Seriously, so easy.
Now, onto the homemade version. We changed the sprinkles up a bit to show you how different they look with just jimmies!
Dress up that table with a matching sprinkle rim glass!
How to Make Homemade Funfetti Cookies Recipe
This confetti cookies recipe yields 24 – 30 cookies with a prep time and cookie time of about 10 minutes each step.
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Rainbow Jimmies Sprinkles plus more for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with silicone mat
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes
- Add egg, beat well
- Add vanilla and almond extracts, beat
- Sift together dry ingredients, gradually add and beat well
- Note: dough will be very stiff
- Stir in sprinkles being careful not to over mix or the sprinkles will start to bleed into the dough
- Use a cookie dough scoop and roll dough into 1 inch balls
- Roll cookies in addition sprinkles, if desired
- Bake for 8-10 minutes for a softer cookie or 11-12 for a crisp cookie
- Cool on wire rack
- Store in airtight container
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies or Homemade?
We can’t wait to hear which recipe is your favorite. No matter which sprinkles or which recipe method you choose, your guests will love the result. Mix and match sprinkles to dress up your event!
Love This Easy Funfetti Cookies Recipe? Check Some Other Sweet Inspiration!
- Cookie Monster Party Ideas
- Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
- White Chocolate Chip Cookie With Circus Cookie Sprinkles
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Easy Cakey Batter Fudge Recipe [No Bake With Sprinkles!]
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Packed with Sprinkles
- White Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Best Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie with Chocolate Sprinkles
- Red Velvet Cookie Recipe