Forget chocolate bunnies this spring…Easter cakesicles are where it’s at! Everyone in your life, old and young, will adore nibbling like bunnies on these carrot-shaped treats.
While we still love cupcakes, and especially our Easter Cupcakes with Carrot Toppers, but cakesicles… they take creativity to a whole new level.
Cakesicles are, essentially, popsicle-shaped mini-cakes on sticks. Think cake pops—you know, those precious little orb-shaped sweets—except somehow even cuter. They’re versatile for any holiday or occasion, and fun to make on top of it all. So: what better way to celebrate spring than with some Easter cakesicles?!
We talk about holidays and holiday treats a lot here at Sweets and Treats HQ. First, well, because we all have a total sweet tooth. But also because it provides us with a lot of inspiration! Lately, we’ve discovered that we LOVE Easter food and Easter candy especially, but we’ve gotten bored with the typical stuff sold in stores at this time of year. You know what we mean: big chocolate bunnies, egg-shaped fruit snacks, jelly beans…
They’re all fine, but just not new and fresh. That’s why we have to share our recipe/tutorial for Easter cakesicles today. We guarantee the people in your life haven’t had anything like this! You’re sure to get a smile out of your friends, little ones, co-workers, partner, parents…really, anyone you give a cakesicle. Try this out!
Easter Cakesicles: Ingredients & Utensils
If you know how to make a cake, you know how to make Easter cakesicles! These gorgeous and adorable treats don’t take any advanced baking skills to create…or even any obscure ingredients. How awesome is that?!
- Baked cake/cupcake: Self-explanatory, we think! Grab your favorite flavor, so long as it pairs well with candy melts. (Maybe carrot cake? No? Yes? We wonder how that would taste in these cakesicles…)
- Buttercream frosting: This will hold your crumbled cake together.
- Candy melts: These form the outside of your cakesicles. For this recipe, we’ll be using orange and green candy melts for adorable carrot-shaped cakesicles.
- Glitter: Edible glitter? Don’t mind if we do! You’ll want our Tangerine Orange and Emerald Green Luxe Dusts for this recipe.
- Sprinkles: We recommend our 24 Carrot Mix for decorating. Optional here, though, since the carrot cake popsicles turn out pretty all by themselves!
- Carrot cakesicle mold: For the cakesicle’s carrot shape! The mold we’ll be using, our Unicorn Horn Mold is technically for…well, unicorn-themed parties. If you use our orange and green candy melts, though, it looks exactly like a carrot. Adorable!
- Acrylic sticks: Popsicles aren’t popsicles without the sticks, after all, and cakesicles are no different. These pretty green sticks will tie your cakesicles together.
- Sprinkle glitter brush set: This set of brushes, other than being fabulous-looking, is critical for applying edible glitter to your Easter cakesicles.
- Piping bag: You’ll use this, filled with green candy melts, to make teeny-tiny leaves for your carrot cake popsicles.
Let’s make these fun Carrot Cake Popsicles…
After your cake is baked, crumbled and mixed with the frosting, it’s time to begin working on the molds.
Begin by brushing the inside of the mold with the tangerine luxe glitter.
Then melt the orange candy melts in a microwave safe bowl, and using the back of a spoon, coat the sides of the mold.
Chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes, then repeat with another layer of orange candy melts and chill for another 15-20 minutes.
Fill the mold with the cake mixture, pushing firmly and leaving about 1/8 inch space.
Add the green acrylic stick through the opening in the mold and chill for 15-20 minutes
Now cover the cake with another layer of melted orange candy melts and scrape off any excess with an offset spatula. And chill for 20 minutes.
While the cakesicles are chilling, it’s time to get the green candy melts ready for the carrot toppers.
Easter Cakesicles Decorations…it’s time to have fun and decorate the cakesicles now.
Add a piece of parchment paper to a baking sheet. Melt a small amount of green candy melts in a microwave safe bowl, then transfer it to a disposable decorator bag.
Pipe the melted chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet to form leaves. Add emerald glitter luxe to the leaves. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Carefully remove the cakesicle from the mold by gently pushing the top first then remove the bottom.
Add a small amount of melted green chocolate to the base of the cakesicle on the acrylic stick and attach the leaf.
Store cakesicles in an airtight container until you are ready to serve.
Note that you can also use this recipe/tutorial for other fun Easter ideas, too! There are lots of oval-shaped cakesicle molds out there, and we have a bunny-shaped one right here on Sweets and Treats, as well.
Easter Cakesicles: FAQs
Here are some answers to a few questions we’ve gotten about this recipe…
How many cakesicles does this yield?
About 24. Perfect for a party or any other get-together!
How long does this recipe take to put together?
You’ll need 45 minutes max for prep, and then another 60-90 minutes for the cake pops to chill the cake mixture. This is not a quick recipe, we’ll admit, so it’s not great for last-minute planning, but it’s still very easy to cook up the morning before you need it!
What kind of buttercream frosting do you recommend?
We have a great recipe right here! It’s a no-brainer. You can also use store-bought frosting, of course, but homemade always tastes better, don’t you think?
Did you enjoy these Easter pop cakesicles?
We always love sharing recipes that are variations on a well-known treat, and our Easter pop popsicles are no exception. In the comments below, please let us know how you enjoyed your cakesicles! Check out our other Spring treats like Bunny Bait, Pastel Cupcakes, Chocolate Eggs, and more!
Other cakey treats you’ll adore…
It’s always a good time for cake, you know? Always. And so if you’re in the mood to make more cake, try these recipes of ours: