Did you know that Earth Day is coming up on April 22nd? It’s an important celebration! After spending a day at the zoo or the park or cleaning up your neighborhood, why not cherish all those memories with some Earth Day cakesicles?
Earth Day, for those unaware, is a holiday recognized by over 140 countries that began in the 1970s. It’s a day to recognize peace and environmental issues…in other words, a general love of the earth! Usually, it’s not a day anyone uses to make sweet treats, but we wanted to fix that. After all, a lot of schools and families take the time to do some physical activity on April 22nd…cleaning up, a zoo or park trip, etc.
The best way to reward yourself (and solidify all those environmental lessons) at the end of a successful Earth Day? These gorgeous Earth Day cakesicles!
You’ve probably seen, very recently, our Easter cakesicles. This is a similar concept, except we’ll be making delightful blue-and-green cakesicles to represent our beloved Earth. If you’re looking for an easy (and tasty!) project to do with your family at the end of Earth Day…or even at the beginning…here it is!
Earth Day Cakesicles: Ingredients & Utensils
Believe it or not, it doesn’t take any unusual ingredients or a 5-star pastry chef to make cakesicles. You’ll only need…
- Vanilla cake (or any flavor): This forms the inside of your cakesicle. We have an extremely simple tutorial to make vanilla cake right here on the blog! However, you can also make it from a box mix. You can use any flavor you’d like. We just find vanilla cake to be the most neutral and well-loved…and we enjoy making things from scratch!
- Bright green candy melts: Melt these down to form the harder outer coating of your Earth Day cakesicles.
- White candy melts These you can drizzle onto your Earth Day cakesicles as decoration!
- Edible glitter: We’ve fallen in love with the idea of edible glitter since it’s an easy way to make any sweet treat “pop”! For Earth Day cakesicles, we recommend our Juniper Green Luxe Glitter.
- Sprinkles: What makes a cakesicle so cute? A good set of sprinkles, of course! To match the Earth Day theme, we have our blue-and-green Planet Party mix ready for you. Of course, you can use any blue, green, and/or white sprinkles you adore.
- Anything you’ll need to make the vanilla cake: Vague, but we’re leaving this open, depending on whether you’re using a box mix or our tutorial…or another way to make the cake entirely!
- A cakesicle mold: This is important for any cakesicle recipe/tutorial. It’s very hard to get a good cakesicle shape without one! (In fact, it may just be impossible!) If you want to get results like the cakesicles in our pictures, use a Popsicle-shaped cakesicle mold. However, you can also get creative with practically any cakesicle mold.
- Popsicle sticks: To match your Earth Day cakesicles, we recommend using ones that are blue, green, or white.
- Glitter brushes: Our Sprinkle Glitter Brushes (other than being completely adorable) are an easy way to dust edible glitter onto your cakesicles.
Earth Day Cakesicles: FAQs
Here are some answers to a few questions we’ve gotten about these Earth Day treats…
Besides cake, is there any other filling you recommend for these cakesicles?
An edible dough of any kind is super, super tasty, too!
How do you make cakesicles, anyway?
Our tried-and-true cakesicle tutorial is the best way we’ve found to put them together.
Do you have other sprinkles that would match well with Earth Day cakesicles?
Did you enjoy these Earth Day cakesicles?
We always love sharing recipes that are variations on a well-known treat, and our Earth Day cakesicles are no exception. In the comments below, please let us know how you enjoyed your cakesicles! (Or if you had trouble making them because we can probably help.) We’d love to hear from you, as always.
Other cakesicle treats you’ll adore…
We can’t stop talking about cakesicles here at Sweets and Treats! If you’re as obsessed as we are, save these tutorials and recipes for later: