Alright Oreo lovers today is your day! We’re pretty stoked to be sharing one of our all time favorite cupcakes today, call them cookies and cream cupcakes or simple Oreo cupcakes, you won’t go wrong with these sweet treats. Not only have they been a long time favorite for our team, they are as always, simple to make! The flavor is amazing but our favorite part of this recipe is the Oreo frosting for sure. These little Oreo crumbs added to the frosting recipe is what cupcake dreams are made of especially for anyone that loves Oreos cookies!
Why Cookies and Cream Cupcakes are Classic
No matter the time of year, this cupcake flavor is always a good idea. You will always find this flavor in any local cupcake shop along with traditional chocolate and vanilla flavors too. You’ll love that these cupcakes actually start from a doctored up cake mix, but you’d never know it! Naturally we used Oreo cookies to top these guys by simply putting a sandwich cookies on top of our cookies and cream buttercream frosting. But the real gem is hidden underneath the layer of chocolate fudge cake! Because we love surprises in our desserts, we couldn’t resist an Oreo cookie surprise!
Oreo Cupcakes Recipe Combinations Are Endless!
Now that we’ve got you dreaming up this sandwich cookie cupcake recipe, let’s think about all of the flavors available. By just changing out the Oreo cookie flavor and possibly the cake mix flavor the cupcake combinations are endless! Would you like to see more cookie cupcake recipes come to life here on the blog? Here’s some we think would make awesome desserts. Using cookie flavors you see in the local grocery store, you could make Birthday Cake, Peanut Butter, Mint Chocolate, and Cinnamon Roll Oreo Cupcake Recipes. We are pretty partial to the mint flavor for sure!
Loved this Cookies and Cram cupcakes recipe? Try these other fun recipes and ideas!
- Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe
- Mocha Cupcake Recipe
- Pina Colada Cupcake Recipe
- Maple Cinnamon Cupcake Recipe
- DARK CHOCOLATE FUDGE CUPCAKES
- 1 dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ oil
- 24 Oreo cookies (or any sandwich cookie) with top cookie removed
- a few drops of black food coloring (optional)
- Greaseproof Cupcake Liners
- COOKIES & CREAM FROSTING RECIPE
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 pouches of stabilizer
- 12 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp. finely crushed cookies for Oreo crumbs (use leftover tops)
1. Place metal mixing bowl and metal whisk beater attachment in freezer. Chilling the bowl and whisks helps the whipped frosting some to consistency.
2. Line cupcake pan with BakeBright cupcake liners. Lay a topless Oreo cookie in each cupcake liner, cookie side facing bottom.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, and milk at low speed. Once all ingredients are incorporated, beat on medium/high for a full minute. If desired add in a few drops of black food coloring to darken the cake mix like an Oreo!
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and add 3-4 tbsp of cake batter to each cupcake liner. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. While cupcakes are cooling it's time to make the frosting! Using the chilled bowl from the freezer, beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks have formed. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until combined. Fold in crushed cookie Oreo crumbs with a spatula. You can crush them in a plastic bag or by using a food processor.
6.Pipe the frosting on your cupcakes with an open star tip, then top with Oreo cookies if desired.