Cookie cake or cookie pizza – does what it’s called even matter when it’s so delicious?! We’ve made way too many trips to our local GAC for cookie pizzas recently that we should buy stock in the company. Yeah, we hear a lot of Amens on that one!
It’s one of everyone’s favorite go to desserts for celebrating! They are delicious, easy to make, and oh so pretty! What better reason do you need to make one of your very own at home?! This quick and easy ooey, gooey chocolate chip cookie pizza recipe is going to jump to the top of your pinned recipes for sure. One of the best things about this one is how versatile it is to dress up for any event or holiday season. ESPECIALLY a birthday cake!
What is a Cookie Pizza?
Ok ok. We won’t hold that question against you! Chocolate chip cookies are THE most popular flavor of cookies from our experience. So what better way than to turn them into a full on dessert cake! Essentially a cookie pizza or cookie cake (what it’s probably more commonly called) is the same dough spread out in the shape of a cake or pizza. It’s super easy!
How To Make a Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Once the dough is made, you simply spread it out on a round (or square if you are brave!) nonstick pan to go into the oven. Once baked to perfect golden brown deliciousness, it’s then decorated with creamy buttercream or other frosting. You make the batter the same as you would for scooping out dough except the batter is shaped on a pizza pan and baked as such. Then you cut them into individual slices and go to town!
Typically they are sliced in thin pizza slices and eaten that way. The larger the cake, the larger the slices so we’ve even cut them into squares perfect for serving to guests.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe
Yes, you can buy cookie pizzas pretty much anywhere, but we are here to tell you how easy they are to make from scratch!
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Topping – Optional
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 oz) container whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Lightly spray 12 inch round pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and fluffy
- Add egg and beat until well combined
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda
- Add dry mixture to wet ingredients and mix until well combined
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Spread evenly into prepared pan leaving about ½ inch around the edge
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown
- Cool completely on wire rack
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until creamy
- Fold in whipped topping
- Spread onto cooled cookie pizza
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza Recipe FAQs
Is there a special cookie pizza pan to use?
You can use any baking pan really to make a cookie cake if you are in a pinch. But we highly recommend using one that is at least 1/2 inch deep. The height of the pan once the cookie dough starts to spread, helps give the cookie cake a more defined ‘pizza’ crust look.
How can I change up the theme for different holidays?
This recipe is most popular at a birthday party but can be tweaked for any celebration! Change the frosting colors and sprinkle themes for a quick switch.
For example, our Stars & Stripes sprinkle mix and blue and red icing would be perfect for 4th of July coming up. Or chocolate frosting and our new Summer Social sprinkle mix for celebration summer break! Don’t forget our edible glitter to add a pop of color without having to worry about changing frosting.
How can I change this recipe for different flavors?
Oh this is our favorite part! This cookie pizza recipe is so easy to change up. Just swap out the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips for a delicious peanut butter cookie cake for example. You could also add a dollop of peanut butter for an extra punch of flavor.
If you do more than just swapping out the chips for a different flavor, you may need to experiment with tweaking the bake time.
Loved this chocolate chip cookie cake recipe?
Check out more chocolatey goodness from the blog!
- Chocolate Funfetti Cupcakes With Dark Chocolate Frosting
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe with Sprinkles
- Hot Chocolate Stirrers Recipe – A Winter Drink Must Have!
- Homemade Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe – Easy & Fun!