Welcome back Sweets Squad! We’re feeling all the pink fluffy feels right now because today on the blog we are sharing a copycat cupcake classic. If you haven’t guessed it already we’re talking about coconut marshmallow cupcakes otherwise known as copycat snoball cupcakes!
That’s right, the most loveable squishable guilty pleasure dessert ever known is now in cupcake form! Moist chocolate cupcakes with light and fluffy marshmallow frosting dipped in pink shredded coconut.
Be sure to check out our first Valentine cupcake recipe of the season from last week – Strawberry Cream Cheese, Strawberry Funfetti, and Strawberry Banana Recipe! We’ll be posting one each Monday through the month of January.
Copycat Snoballs Bringing Childhood Memories Back!
Long gone are the days where these marshmallow coconut treats only brightened up the end caps of groceries stores…you can now make your own copycat snoball cupcakes version right at home! Who doesn’t want to play, I mean bake, with pink coconut? It’s so much fun.
These cupcakes come together really quickly with a chocolate cupcake base, a layer of marshmallow frosting, and a coating of pink coconut shred.
Naturally, we made them EXTRA cute with our perfectly pink stripe BakeBright cupcake liners – chocolate cake is no match for our greaseproof liners! (Though we think our pink chevron liners would be pretty perfect as well.)
Wondering how to easily shape the round cupcake tops (mess free)? Keep reading below! These are very similar to our Ornament cupcake tutorial just with coconut instead of our sugar crystal sprinkles!
How To Make Coconut Marshmallow Cupcakes
Gather these ingredients and follow the steps in our recipe below. These are so easy to make, you’ll be tweaking the colors for each of the upcoming holidays! You can use our Scratch Chocolate Cupcakes or the box recipe below:
CHOCOLATE FUDGE CUPCAKES
1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
4 Tbsp. instant chocolate pudding mix
4 large eggs
½ cup sour cream
1 cup milk
¼ cup oil
1 cup butter
13 oz. jar marshmallow fluff
1 Tbsp. vanilla
10 cups powdered sugar
4-6 Tbsp. milk or heavy cream
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
pink food coloring
Homemade Copycat Snoball Cupcakes
Pink, fluffy, and fun - these copycat snow ball cupcakes are a must try! These coconut marshmallow cupcakes are a moist chocolate cupcakes with a layer of marshmallow frosting wrapped in pink shredded coconut and a gooey center, who could resist really? They taste just like your childhood guilty pleasure, snoballs!
- CHOCOLATE FUDGE CUPCAKES
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 4 Tbsp. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup oil
- MARSHMALLOW FROSTING
- 1 cup butter
- 13 oz. jar marshmallow fluff
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 10 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 Tbsp. milk or heavy cream
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- pink food coloring
- Line cupcake pan with BakeBright cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, and milk at low speed. Once all ingredients are incorporated, beat cake batter medium/high for a full minute.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of cake batter to each cupcake liner. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Place coconut shred in a medium mixing bowl. Mix in a few drops of pink food coloring at a time until all coconut shred is pretty and pink.
- To make marshmallow frosting, in a large mixing bowl cream butter until smooth. Add jar of marshmallow fluff and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add powdered sugar (slowly!) one cup at a time. Add milk one Tbsp. at a time, beating in between additions until desired you reach piping consistency. You want the frosting to be sturdy enough to hold its shape but still smooth enough to pipe, too much milk and you will not be able to create the snow ball mound effect.
- Depending on how much marshmallow flavor you want, you can fill the center of each cupcake with marshmallow frosting too before piping the frosting on top.
- To finish the cupcakes, working with about 6 cupcakes at a time, use a large round piping tip to pipe a regular swirl of frosting onto the cupcakes. Then gently dunk and roll each cupcake upside down into the bowl of coconut shred. Use a clean paper towel to lay over the top and smooth out the shape to a round snow ball look. You may need to dunk back into the coconut once more to fill in any gaps.
TIP: Working with cupcakes six at a time ensures it hasn't been too long since you frosted each cupcake allowing the frosting to crust just a bit which then causes the coconut not to stick. Sticky frosting works much better for this topping.
Like These Copycat Snoball Marshmallow Cupcakes? We Have Many More Easy Cupcake Recipes To Try!
- Surprise Pinata Cupcake Recipe
- Pina Colada Cupcake Recipe
- Homemade Funfetti Cupcake Recipe
- Heart Shaped Cupcakes
- Ombre Cupcake Tutorial