Move over pumpkin season, peppermint season is officially on the way! YAY! We are loving the change in decor right now and we can’t wait to get our Christmas on here on the blog which is why today we’re bringing you a new simple cupcake recipe, chocolate peppermint cupcakes with peppermint buttercream frosting! The flavors, the different color swirl, the sprinkles – these cupcakes are the perfect sweets for your upcoming holiday dessert table! Mix and match colors to whatever theme you have coming up. Such a versatile frosting idea!
Peppermint is the flavor of the season!
There really is no better way to get into the holiday spirit than baking up some of these chocolate peppermint cupcakes! Keeping things easy as we love to do they start from a doctored cake mix then baked in our greaseproof red dot cupcake liners of course. Then we topped them with a simple peppermint buttercream frosting and our new Frost Bite sprinkle mix!
How To Create The Peppermint Buttercream Frosting Swirl
We thought we would let you in on a little trick for how to create this frosting swirl, it’s crazy easy! Before you place your peppermint buttercream frosting in the piping bag, use a tooth pick dipped in red gel food coloring and draw 3-4 light lines of food coloring from the piping tip to the middle of the bag. Fill with your peppermint buttercream and frost as you please. Here we used an open star tip. It’s that simple! Have fun playing around with adding different colors in different layers for a custom look!
How To Make Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes Recipe
Cupcake Ingredients – Makes 24 Cupcakes
1 box chocolate cake mix
4 Tbsp. instant chocolate pudding mix
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup milk or heavy cream
1/4 cup oil
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup shortening
1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 Tbsp. peppermint extract
4-6 tbsp milk
red gel color
Frost Bite Sprinkles To Top
1. Line cupcake pan with BakeBright cupcake liners.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, and milk at low speed. Once all ingredients are incorporated, beat cake batter medium/high for a full minute.
3. Add 3-4 Tbsp. of cake batter to each cupcake liner. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
4. Now for the peppermint buttercream! In a large mixing bowl cream butter at medium speed until smooth. Next, add shortening and beat until combined. Then add extracts and mix until combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar one cup at a time beating slightly between each addition. Add milk 1 Tbsp. at a time beating in between additions until you reach your desired consistency.
5. Use a toothpick and red gel color to draw 3 red lines in the piping bag from tip to middle. Fill with peppermint buttercream frosting. Once cupcakes are cool, pipe cupcakes with large star tip, add sprinkles and enjoy! This recipe would even be great with crushed candy cane pieces or crushed peppermints on top as well for an extra flavor punch!
Check out our post on filling cupcake liners evenly for perfectly domed cupcakes! Not sure how many bags of sprinkles you need? Check out our conversion How Many Sprinkles Do I Need charts to get started!