Today we’ve got another easy cupcake recipe that’s a modified version of our most popular cupcake recipe post. Our chocolate funfetti cupcakes recipe with dark cocoa buttercream frosting is a go to for any chocolatey lover in your life! Because hello chocolate cupcakes AND sprinkles are a pair made in heaven.
When you hear about confetti cupcakes, you always think vanilla don’t you? Typically that’s the case. Let’s change that! Calling all of our dark baked goods lovers for this one of a kind cupcake recipe post!
Chocolate Funfetti Cupcakes – The New Staple On The Block
Before we get to the chocolate, the sprinkles, and dark cocoa frosting, can we just correct a huge cupcake stereotype. Chocolate deserves sprinkles too! No really, when was the last time you heard of a chocolate funfetti cupcake?
Search google and you don’t see but a few. Typically vanilla cake is known to get all the sprinkle fun and we are out to change that. Just putting chocolate frosting doesn’t make it a chocolatey lover’s dream right?
Chocolate and sprinkles were meant to go together y’all, especially our Sundae Cone sprinkle mix you see on these cupcakes. They have cocoa brown sprinkles mixed right in! So next time you’re in need of a birthday treat, put down that vanilla cake mix and try these new guys on the block.
Seriously with this chocolate frosting you won’t forget them any time soon. The slight crunch of all of those jimmies inside are the perfect addition!
BakeBright Cupcake Liners – No Match For Dark Cake!
Speaking of unforgettable baking, check out our brown chevron BakeBright liners with these chocolate funfetti cupcakes! No dark cake bleed through here with these guys, ahhhhh it seriously never gets old. Ok, ok enough with the swooning over these guys let’s get to the easy peasy recipe.
Recipe For Chocolate Funfetti Cupcakes
We seriously hope we’ve convinced you to join the dark funfetti cupcake side with today’s recipe post! The jimmies may not jump out as much because of the dark batter, you’ll know they are there once you bite into this yummy cupcake. Surprise your next birthday boy or girl with this delicious classic recipe topped with modern rainbow sprinkles to match!
EAGER TO DISCOVER MORE EASY CUPCAKE RECIPES?
Try out Pink Lemonade, Mocha, Vanilla, Copycat Snoballs, Apple Pie, Pumpkin, Oreo, or Pina Colada flavors next time! Still looking for Funfetti version? Try our Traditional or Strawberry version! Don’t forget the frosting jam packed with sprinkles that would go great on this as well.
- CHOCOLATE FUNFETTI CUPCAKES
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 4 Tbsp. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup oil
- 1/2 cup Sundae Cone sprinkles
- CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
- 2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
- 7 Tbsp. Hershey Cocoa Powder
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tbsp milk
- Sundae Cone Sprinkles To Top
1. Line cupcake pan with BakeBright cupcake liners.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, and milk at low speed. Once all ingredients are incorporated, beat cake batter medium/high for a full minute. Fold in Sundae Cone Sprinkles with spatula.
3. Add 3-4 tbsp of cake batter to each cupcake liner. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F, or until toothpick comes out clean.
4. While cupcakes are cooling it's time to make the chocolate buttercream! In a large mixing bowl cream butter at medium speed until smooth. Add extract and mix until combined. Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time then add cocoa beating slightly between each addition. Add milk 1 Tbsp. at a time beating in between additions until you reach your desired consistency.
5. Pipe cupcakes with large start tip, add sprinkles and enjoy!