Cake pizza! What a concept! We know what you’re thinking: is it a cake, or a pizza? It’s kind-of both! It’s essentially a cake that’s ready to serve without cutting. The single cake slices are already baked separately in a silicone mold and decorated however you desire!
It tastes like cake, but you bake it in slices that when served, looks much like a pizza. The centerpiece can be a cupcake, and you can even decorate each slice with different “toppings”! This is a phenomenally unique decorating method that’s sure to turn heads anywhere, anytime you serve it.
This popular Instagram trend, just emerging in the baking world, is so versatile! We’ve all seen dessert pizzas for years but this cake version is fluffier and much prettier than most.
In this cake pizza post, we’ve included the exact sprinkles and decorator tips we used to create the one in our post. As always, we’ve also provided inspiration using other sprinkles, frosting, and batter. Get creative!
This baking recipe is a wonderful place to try out new flavors or even a new aesthetic. Even when you aren’t a veteran decorator! It will test your practicing skills for sure. Additionally, it’s a great way to incorporate different colors and patterns into one dessert.
Cake Pizza Tutorial Ingredients & Utensils
Serves 12-18 people
- Cupcake batter—your favorite flavor! You may need to make two batches, depending on the size of the batter recipe and how high you want the cake slices.
- Frosting—again, your favorite! Here’s our favorites.
- Other supplies for the recipe including a spatula to scoop the batter into the mold
Utensils & Other Items
- Silicone mold – we used this one from Amazon
- Cupcake pan – if you want to use a cupcake for the centerpiece of the cake
- Decorator icing bags
- Decorator piping tips – see suggestion below for what we used below
- Non-stick cooking spray
How To Make A Cake Pizza
- Prepare cupcake batter according to the instructions on the batter recipe.
- Spray the baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add ⅓ cup of batter to each slice in the pan.
- Remember that you will also need to make 1 large cupcake for the center of the cake, so if you want to, grab a cupcake pan and put ⅓ cup of batter in there as well!
- Bake 21-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- You’ll want 12 slices for the best presentation or less/more depending on your size of platter being used. If you’re using the pan we linked, you will need to repeat this process by making 4 more slices after the first 8.
- Cool slices/cupcake completely on a wire rack.
- Level off slices and cupcake if necessary.
- Frost slices and cupcake as desired. For additional color, cut the slices horizontally for a layer of icing in between layers.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
Cake Pizza Recipe Flavor Suggestions & Decorating Techniques
Here are our suggestions about customizing cake slices pizza for any occasion!
First, how we decorating the cake slices in the photo:
- #2A and #104 decorator tips for the ribbon slices and dolloped slices, respectively
- #1M, #14, #21, #10 tips for the multi-decorated slices
- Sprinkles used: our Cactus, Roses, and Desert Rose sprinkles
- Batter: Strawberry Cream Cheese and/or Vanilla
- Frosting: Buttercream and/or Cream Cheese
Other batter suggestions:
- Chocolate cupcake batter, for when you just want a classic flavor
- Hot chocolate flavored batter, for wintery days (and yes, it’s a bit different than the chocolate batter!)
- Fall maple cinnamon batter or pumpkin flavored batter for a lovely October and November treat
- Funfetti cupcakes, to go with the funfetti frosting below
- Pink lemonade batter, also to go with its frosting below
Other frosting suggestions:
- Peppermint or chocolate mint frosting, for holiday-themed cake pizzas
- Caramel, which tastes the best in autumn, of course
- Pink lemonade frosting, for a summery treat
- Homemade funfetti frosting, great for birthdays and other get-togethers
- Cookies and cream frosting, for those folks who love Oreos
Other sprinkle suggestions:
- Fall Nonpareils or our Totem Pole sprinkles mix, for autumn cake pizzas
- Our Dino Stomp mix, for little boys’ birthdays
- Our Girl Power mix, for little girls’ birthdays
- Our Fish Food mix, for anyone’s birthday
- Our Haunted House mix, or our Hocus Pocus mix, for Halloween treats
- Chrismas Nonpareils or our Lumberjack mix, great at the holidays
- Our Tropic Like It’s Hot mix would be fun on summery cake pizzas
Making this cake slices pizza recipe will bring out your creative side, so have fun!
Try new flavor combinations and decorating techniques you’ve never tried before. Have fun, and your guests (or family and friends) will appreciate the effort!
This cake pizza dessert isn’t very popular yet so you’ll be the talk of the dessert table for sure before it catches on! Mix and match sprinkles and piping tips for a truly unique dessert. You’ll love this decorating method before long.
Tell us about your cake slices pizza!
This is probably one of our favorite baking ideas, and so unique, too! The instructions seem a little complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it’s simple to put together and looks GORGEOUS at a party or event. We can’t wait to see what you create!
Check out more sweet inspiration right here!
Here are a few of our favorite cake recipes we’ve posted:
- Quick & Easy Rainbow Cake
- Chocolate Drip Cake Tutorial & Ideas
- Sprinkle Fault Line Cake Tutorial & Ideas
- Sprinkle Lollipops
- Nonpareil Candies
- Traybakes Tutorial
- ● Cupcake Batter - your favorite flavor - may need 2 recipes, depending on the size you are wanting to make
- ● Frosting - your favorite
- ● Decorator Icing Bags
- ● Decorator Tips
- Prepare cupcake batter according to instructions on recipe
- Spray cake pizza pan silicone mold with non-stick cooking spray
- You will also need 1 large cupcake for the center for this style. You could also omit!
- Add ⅓ cup batter to each slice
- Bake 21-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Remove from oven and cool completely
- For 12 slices, you will need to repeat this process by making 4 more slices
- Cool completely on a wire rack
- Level off slices and cupcake if necessary
- Frost slices and cupcake as desired
- Decorate with sprinkles