If you want an easy dessert recipe that’s also a total crowd-pleaser for literally any event or holiday you can imagine…you’re in luck! This is a recipe for cake mix blondies, and they are absolutely too delicious to be so simple!
Blondies are basically “opposite day” brownies. Instead of chocolate, they taste like vanilla, and they’re so yummy you may never go back to brownies again! (But you will…because brownies are too good.)
In this recipe, we’re using store-bought cake mix to bake these amazing little treats. It’s a great beginner recipe…and everyone you know will be begging you for more once they try the results!
We also decided to put a little bit of unicorn magic on these cake mix blondies, so today we’re using our Unicorn sprinkle mix. Of course, you can use whatever sprinkle mix your heart desires. Your blondies will come out just as magical!
Here’s the recipe…
Cake Batter Blondies: Ingredients & Utensils
Yield: 20 blondies
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25-30 min
- 1 box (15.25 oz) cake mix – yellow or white
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup of our Unicorn Sprinkles
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
Utensils & Other Items
- 9×9 inch baking pan
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Large bowl
- Wire rack
How To Make Brownies From Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray square 9×9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil until well-blended.
- Add the milk and mix slowly.
- Fold in the Unicorn Cake Sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Add more rainbow sprinkles if you like to the top. Be sure to press them down gently!
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until edges are set and slightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
Cake Batter Blondie Recipe: General Tips
This section features a few FAQs we’ve gotten about the recipe, such as…
Can you use a homemade cake recipe rather than a box mix?
This is one of those times we’ll actually say that the box mix is better! It gives the blondies their consistency, texture, and flavor. You may not get the same results with a homemade recipe!
Do you have to use yellow or white cake box mix?
Not at all…but of course, you may not have blondies at the end if you use another kind of cake mix. You’ll end up with brownies or lemon bars or any other flavor. (Maybe that’s your intention, though? Yum!)
How long will these stay fresh without freezing them?
If you store them in an airtight container, you can keep them in the fridge for about two weeks.
And how long will these stay fresh in the freezer?
About 2-3 months! You’ll want to let them thaw for a few hours (preferably overnight) to serve them.
Cake Mix Blondies: Tips For Decoration
Here’s the best part of any Sweets and Treats post…the decoration tips! If you need more suggestions, look here.
We felt like bringing out our unique Unicorn Sprinkles on top for these blondies! However, we also know you (or your loved ones) may not be feeling the unicorn magic, so here’s a few other cool mixes you can use… 🙂
- Other feminine sprinkles/for girls’ birthdays: Pixie Dust, Pink Princess
- For boys’ birthdays: Turtle Power, Side Show
- Wintery mixes: Snow Storm, Sleigh Ride
- Autumn mixes: Haunted House, Fall Harvest
- Summery mixes: Lemon Lime, Patriotic Jimmies
- Spring mixes: Spring Sorbet, Melon Ball
This is definitely one of those cake batter flavored recipes that you can customize for any occasion. (And those are the best kind, in our humble opinion!)
White chocolate chips are “traditional” for blondies, since blondies are, after all, the opposite of brownies! But who said tradition is a must with baking? If you want to get creative, try…
- Butterscotch chips
- Cookie butter
- Peanut butter chips or peanut butter cup chunks
- Chocolate chips
Did you enjoy these cake batter blondies?
At Sweets & Treats, we love recipes that are simple, adorable, and delicious…and cake mix blondies fit all three of those categories! Comment down below with your thoughts on these cake batter blondies. Did you adore them? Did they inspire you? Did you leave anything out or use substitutions? We always want to hear from you!
Check out our other birthday baking series: Whoopie Pies, Oreo Balls, and Rice Krispie Treats – ALL BIRTHDAY STYLE!
We have lots more to discover on Sweets & Treats blog!
You KNOW we’ve got a million and one recipes to try here on the blog! Well, maybe not that many…but quite a few, and you’ll love them all! Check out…
- Cake Mix Whoopie Pies
- Birthday Cake Milkshake
- Funfetti Cookies and Puppy Chow
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
- Brownie Bites
- Cake Batter Dip