Who doesn’t love rice krispie treats? They’re one of the most classic snacks ever imagined! Okay, maybe we’re exaggerating a bit. But they are amazing, right? And today we’ll be adding a new ingredient to create a wonderful spin on these wonderful little squares: cake! Scroll on down to read more about this cake batter rice krispie treats recipe.
Is it just us, or does it feel like there are way more birthdays in the summer than any other time of the year? We felt it was appropriate to post a few birthday-themed recipes. These rice krispie treats use rainbow jimmies, making them perfect for any occasion, especially your favorite person’s special day.
We’ve had rice krispie treat recipes on the blog before, like this fantastic pumpkin-flavored one for fall. This one we’re talking about today, however, is a little different…there’s no pumpkin spice in these rice krispies, sure, but there’s cake mixed in! You’re going to fall in love with them.
Here’s the recipe…
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients & Utensils
- 6 ½ cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 (12 oz) bag regular size marshmallows
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup dry cake mix – yellow, white, or funfetti cake mix
- 1/2 cups Rainbow Jimmie Sprinkles, plus more colorful sprinkles for the top
Utensils & Other Items
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Rectangle-shaped baking pan – any size
- Large pot or saucepan
How To Make Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray rectangle baking pan (any size) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, over medium low heat, add butter and heat until completely melted.
- Add marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Add dry cake mix, one spoonful at a time to marshmallow mixture, stirring between each addition.
- Stir and cook on low until well combined.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in rice krispie cereal until completely coated.
- Fold in the rainbow sprinkles carefully.
- Press the mixture lightly into prepared pan.
- Add additional sprinkles if desired.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes or until set.
- Cut into squares.
- Store rice crispy treats in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats: Tips For Decoration
Here’s the best part of any Sweets & Treats post…the decoration tips! If you need more suggestions, look here.
If you’re not feeling the rainbow jimmies for a birthday, we have other festive mixes suitable for this recipe that would look good on a birthday treat, like:
And like many of our recipes, this one is suitable for any occasion with a few tweaks! For instance, our favorite birthday cake rice krispie treats variations are…
- Patriotic: use our Firecracker or Patriotic Nonpareils sprinkle mixes!
- Christmas: use our Christmas Cookie or Christmas Jimmies mixes, and grab some food coloring to make your batter red, white, or green!
- Winter/non-holiday: use our Frost Bite or Snow Storm mixes!
- Valentine’s Day: dye your batter red or pink and use our Cupid’s Arrow or Love Boat sprinkle mixes!
- Fall/Thanksgiving: use our Apple Cider or Totem Pole mixes, as well as red, brown, or orange batter!
- St. Patrick’s Day: Irish Luck or Lucky Charm are the mixes to use, alongside green or gold food dye for your batter!
- Easter/spring: use our Easter Basket or Spring Sorbet mixes, and bring out spring colors in your batter with pastel pink or green food dyes!
- A masculine birthday or event: use our Blue Moon or Camo sprinkle mixes!
- A feminine birthday or event: use our Cotton Candy or Crown Jewels mixes!
Are you feeling inspired yet?! Go forth and make something wonderful!
Did you enjoy this recipe for rice krispie treats?
This recipe is certainly a new way to look at a beloved classic, and they’re sure to make any occasion absolutely wonderful. So: comment down below with your thoughts on this cake batter rice krispie treats recipe! Did you adore them? Maybe they inspired you? Did you leave anything out or use substitutions? We always want to hear from you!
We have lots more to discover on Sweets & Treats!
You KNOW we’ve got a million and one recipes to try here on the blog! Well, maybe not that many…but quite a few, and you’ll love them all! Check out…