Looking for Bluey cake ideas? If your little one loves the kids’ TV show Bluey (and who could blame them!), we have an adorable Bluey cake tutorial right here at Sweets and Treats.
Parents, you know the drill…
Sometimes your kids get into TV shows. Like, really into TV shows. When a lot of us at Sweets and Treats were little, those shows were things like Barney or Arthur.
It’s just a part of growing up, having a cartoon obsession like that! So, as grown-ups, sometimes you leave the DVDs on when the kids need something to do on a rainy day. Sometimes the show barely registers, and sometimes it’s annoying. (Admit it…there’s always that one show they love…)
But Bluey is pretty cute and very, very fun. No, we’re not being asked to say this on behalf of the Bluey crew…it’s just a wonderful little cartoon about an Australian Blue Heeler puppy. If you’re here, you know all about it, we’re sure! We love Bluey, and we bet your kids do, too!
So: for their birthdays or any other awesome event, why not make them a Bluey cake? Sure, you could just make or buy them a standard vanilla cake, but treats that reflect their interests are always a hit. This post will show you how to bake up a pawsitively perfect Bluey cake!
We hope you enjoy this easy Bluey birthday cake tutorial!
How To Make A Bluey Birthday Cake
No special skills are needed to bake up a cute and totally fun Bluey cake!
You will need…
- Your favorite vanilla cake recipe: Use a store-bought mix…or follow our own tried-and-true from-scratch easy vanilla cake recipe. We highly recommend it!
- Buttercream frosting: This is another ingredient that you can grab from the store or follow our simple buttercream recipe that results in creamy smooth frosting every time!
- Piping bag and piping tips: You’ll use these to decorate your cake, of course. In particular, we used the Wilton 1M piping tip for the cake you see in the photos. If you want to copy ours, get that tip!
- Gel food coloring: To mimic the gorgeous colors on our Bluey cake, you’ll need a lighter blue and a darker blue to color your buttercream frosting. Alternatively, use the same blue in different amounts (less coloring for the lighter blue, and more for the darker blue).
- Sprinkles: In our cake, we used two kinds of sprinkles to match the cake (and the Bluey show!) perfectly. If you want the same look, grab our Boho Blues and Candy Bones sprinkles.
- Toppers: Optional, but to make this Bluey cake even cuter, it may be fun to add Bluey-themed toppers! There are lots of choices to find toppers, and we recommend heading to your local grocery store or party store or finding toppers on Amazon or Etsy. (You might even be able to snag some customized Bluey toppers for your special little one!)
Now let’s get decorating…
Step 1: Make your vanilla cake base.
As we said above, we recommend our vanilla cake recipe, which gives you wonderful from-scratch cake. (It’s easy, too!) We used 2 6-inch pans to make a 2-layer cake, but you can tweak the above recipe to suit any sized cake you need.
Step 2: Prep your buttercream.
Make your buttercream frosting if you haven’t already. Divide the frosting into two. Dye half of the frosting light blue (or use less blue gel coloring) and keep it in a bowl. Meanwhile, dye the other half a darker blue and squeeze it into a piping bag.
Step 3: Stack and layer the cakes.
Are you making a layered cake? And are your cake layers cool from the oven? If so, stack ‘em! Add frosting between them if necessary to keep them steady. Then, frost the outside of the cake with a smooth light blue layer of buttercream. Use a spatula!
Step 4: Add your finishing touches!
Now’s the time for the best part: decorating the cake! Fit the 1M tip onto the piping bag and swirl decorations at the top and bottom of the cake. Add a healthy dusting of Boho Blues and Candy Bones sprinkles for even more cuteness! Finally, you’ll want to add any other decor you might have or insert in your cake toppers.
…and that’s it! You’ve made a Bluey birthday cake!
Bluey Cake: FAQs
Here are some questions we’ve been asked about how to make a Bluey birthday cake!
How many servings does this Bluey birthday cake make?
We made a 2-layer 6-inch cake and it ended up giving us about 10 servings.
How long does it take to make a Bluey cake?
This will depend on what recipe for vanilla cake you use. (Again, we recommend following our simple vanilla cake recipe.) We can say that adding the sprinkles and other decorations takes about 20 minutes!
What other sprinkles do you recommend besides the mixes?
Though we think our mixes are the most convenient and economical, any mixture of blue and white sprinkles would do, as they’ll match the cake the best!
Did you enjoy this Bluey cake?
We’re sure you’ll have as much fun baking it as your little ones will have eating it! Let us know what you thought about this tutorial/recipe down below. Did you have any trouble with it, or was it easy-peasy? Who’s your favorite Bluey character? We love to hear your thoughts!
More cakes at Sweets & Treats!
You may think that there are times that don’t call for cakes…but you’d be wrong! (Just kidding!) Seriously, though, fun cakes make any occasion worthwhile, and we have a ton of recipes here on the blog: