Colorful, creative, and downright delicious, these sprinkle birthday cake muffins are the perfect way to start that special day! Best of all, this birthday muffin recipe is so simple that you don’t have to frustrate yourself preparing them for your favorite people…all you need are a few standard ingredients and you’re good to go.
How fun are these sprinkle birthday muffins? We’re smiling just looking at the photos! Life always needs a little surprise, and you’re sure to make anyone’s morning if you bake up a few of these and add a candle for the perfect celebratory touch.
Who wouldn’t feel great seeing rainbow muffins first thing on waking? Don’t ever limit yourself to making them just for your loved ones’ birthdays…throw them together just because!
And you’ll find that “just because” could be as often as once a week if you’re craving these birthday cake muffins enough. You’ll probably want to make them for work, for school, for church… and that’s because this recipe is, quite literally, easy as cake!
Nothing complicated here – you very likely have all the ingredients and utensils you need already. (We even included links to the best sprinkles to use!)
With these sprinkle filled birthday muffins, we came up with a little recipe for happiness that will take you less than an hour to create.
We also included the ingredients and instructions for making a yummy, sugary glaze you can drizzle over the muffins. As if this recipe couldn’t get any better, right?! The glaze is totally optional, but…we highly recommend it.
Sprinkle Birthday Cake Muffins Recipe
Serves: 12-15 muffins
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20-25 min
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup cooking oil, canola or vegetable
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sprinkles (your favorite, or we’ve listed some suggestions below)
For the glaze:
- Powdered sugar
- Full fat, whole milk
Utensils & Other Items
- Muffin pan
- Muffin liners
- Large mixing bowl
How To Make Birthday Cake Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line pan with muffin cups
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add oil to a measuring cup, then add egg and whisk lightly.
- Mash bananas and add to dry ingredients.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the mixture.
- Mix just until blended (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in sprinkles.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin liners, about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and milk to make a glaze.
- Drizzle over top of each muffin
- Add more sprinkles and enjoy
- Store uneaten muffins in an airtight container.
Sprinkle Birthday Muffins: Tips For Decoration
If you want some inspiration for your birthday cake breakfast recipe, you’re in luck! We’ve assembled a few sprinkle suggestions right here for you.
- Gender-neutral birthdays: Birthday Cake, Sugar Cone, Prime Time
- Girly birthday: Crown Jewels, Pink Princess, Sweet Tart
- Boy birthday: Turtle Power, Foam Pit, Planet Party
Of course, this sprinkle muffin recipe can be repurposed as any-occasion muffins, too (think using our Stars and Stripes mix for sprinkles around the 4th of July). But we just like to make them for birthdays most of all!
Freeze these sprinkle muffins for use later!
Now you can wake up to your birthday breakfast with the most glorious treat imaginable: birthday cake muffins! A breakfast for champions!
Comment down below with your thoughts on these birthday muffins. Did you get creative with them or leave anything out or use substitutions? We can’t wait to see how you make these your own!
Check out our other celebration inspired recipes!
Need more birthday treats? You know…anything super festive with lots and lots of rainbow sprinkles? Turns out, birthdays and cake are two of our most favorite themes! Here are a few rainbow recipes for inspiration:
- Funfetti Milkshake (freakshake style!)
- Piñata Cupcakes (with sprinkles inside!)
- Funfetti Cookies (covered in sprinkles!)
- Homemade Lollipops (also covered in sprinkles!)
- Marbled Chocolate Bark
- ● 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ● 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ● 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ● 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ● 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- ● 3 large bananas, mashed
- ● 1/3 cup cooking oil, canola or vegetable
- ● 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ● ½ cup sprinkles plus more for garnish
- ● ½ cup powdered sugar
- ● 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line muffin pan with liners
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients
- Add oil to measuring cup, add egg and whisk lightly
- Mash bananas and add to dry ingredients
- Add wet ingredients to mixture
- Mix just until blended, about 2 minutes
- Stir in sprinkles
- Divide batter evenly into muffin liners, fill to ⅔ full
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Slightly cool
- Whisk together powdered sugar and milk to make glaze
- Drizzle over warm muffins
- Add more sprinkles
- Serve warm or cool completely
- Store in airtight container