One of the wildest recipes we’ll ever share is this, our birthday cake milkshake, freakshake version! If you’re a fan of milkshakes, cakes, and all things sweet, this is the treat for you. Honestly, you don’t even have to wait for your birthday—or anyone’s birthday. Just make it for yourself…we won’t judge!
What is a freakshake?
The most monstrously delightful, delicious milkshake you’ll ever have! Basically, it’s a shake with more surprises within it and on top of it. Gone are the days of regular old milkshakes. Gotta go big or go home right?
Freakshakes are so over the top with sweets, your teeth might ache just by looking at it. Usually, it’s flavored milkshake in a big mug or mason jar with sprinkle rims and all the sweets.
You add cake, cookies, lollipops…whatever you want! You can get very, very creative with it. (In fact, we’ve talked about a St. Patrick’s Day mint freakshake before right here on the blog.)
We aren’t sure where, exactly, the idea of a freakshake originates, other than it started popping up on social media a few years ago. No matter where freakshakes come from, though they’re still amazing!
Here’s a recipe for a very special birthday cake milkshake, freakshake version! Cake flavored desserts are always a good idea!
You’ll be thinking about all the fun tweaks you can make to this recipe for all of those upcoming holiday sweets. This recipe is so versatile you can mix and match to any theme! How fun would this be for a mermaid party too?
Read below for all of our suggestions for a fool proof birthday freakshake that will be the talk of the birthday party!
Birthday Cake Milkshake Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
- 4-5 scoops vanilla ice cream (or cake batter ice cream!)
- 2 tablespoons dry cake mix
- Milk, half-and-half, or cream – depending on how thick you want it
- Whip cream
- Birthday cake
- Maraschino cherries
- Ice cream cone
(Scroll down to see specific suggestions under “tips and tricks”!)
Utensils & Other Items
- Shake machine or blender
- Tall glass or mason jar
How To Make A Birthday Cake Freakshake
Here’s a very simple process to make a very crazy treat!
- Add all ingredients to shake machine or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Rim glass with sprinkles easily using corn syrup for added punch of color.
- Pour milkshake mix into tall glass.
- Add whip cream.
- Add additional toppings of your choice.
Birthday Freakshake Recipe: Tips & Tricks
The crazier you can make this shake, the better it’ll turn out to be! For that reason, we’ve decided to give you a lot of customization suggestions in this section.
Our favorite sprinkles:
The first thing you need for a birthday cake freak shakes are the sprinkles! Some of the best mixes for a freakshake include…
- Birthday Cake mix (obviously!),
- Rainbow Bright mix,
- Sugar Cone mix,
- Unicorn Cake mix,
- Or anything super colorful and eye-catching, really!
Our favorite cake recipe:
Top your birthday cake freakshake with a slice of quick and easy rainbow sprinkle cake! (Although, to be honest, using cake pizza might be fun, too.)
Our favorite cookie recipes:
Oh boy…this was a tough one to narrow down! There are so many ways to incorporate cookies into this scrumptious little shake. We suggest…
- Funfetti Cookies
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Chewy White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
Our favorite lollipop recipe:
Lollipops in your freakshake? Yes, friends…it’s a thing, and it’s amazing to taste and to look at! Our homemade lollipop recipe should result in freakshake-quality lollipops to enjoy. Of course, you could also buy lollipops from the store, too, but we think making your own (and adding sprinkles!) is so much more fun.
Our favorite paper straws:
Paper straws top off a freakshake in style! Sip on your shake with some of the most colorful paper straws around, like…
- Rainbow dot straws!
- Watercolor floral pattern straws!
- Birthday cake straws!
- Multi-pastel stripe or multi-primary stripe straws!
- Another great idea? Sticking a whole lot of straws in, using a whole variety of patterns and colors! Check out our paper straw collection here and grab some for all your freakshake needs.
Other birthday cake milkshake suggestions:
- If you’re looking for a more adult beverage, you can spike these shakes and make them really freaky. Go ahead…no one is looking!
- Any cupcake recipe made as a cake will, of course, work as a cake topping. Shoot…use the cupcakes themselves! Who’s judging?!
- Other pastries and sweets, like creampuffs, are divine when used in a freakshake.
- Want a sweet experience right down to the glass? Use sprinkles or sugar to rim the glass!
How did you like this birthday cake freakshake recipe?
These are probably some of the most decadent treats we’ll post about, but they are so, so good as a special surprise for a birthday boy or girl…or for anyone, anywhere! What are you going to use to top yours? Is your shake truly worthy of the title ‘freakshake’? Comment below! We’d love to hear from you.
We have lots more to discover on the blog!
Love this cake batter milkshake recipe? Looking for more birthday milkshake ideas? Or ice cream ideas? Or just about anything else mouth-wateringly tasty? Let us suggest these recipes for inspiration…
- No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- No Churn Cotton Candy Ice Cream
- St. Patrick’s Day Mint Freakshake
- Birthday Cake muffins
- Layered Chocolate Bark