It’s time to celebrate fall with these apple nachos! What better way to bring in autumn than with fresh-picked apples straight from the orchard, topped with caramel and seasonal sprinkles? When it comes to all-ages sweet treats, apple nachos are something you’ll want to make again and again!
We know the idea of ‘dessert nachos’ might seem odd, since nachos are often considered, well…like main course food! It’s similar to the idea of a savory dinner cupcake—unusual and uncommon. Something you don’t always have an opportunity to try, in other words.
Here’s your chance, however, to create a beautifully delicious, fall-themed dessert nacho treat that everyone in your life will enjoy! One part autumn apple ‘chips’, one part sprinkles, and one part caramel ‘topping’ = these apple nachos. This recipe is insanely quick and insanely easy to throw together, too…which means it’s perfect for those moments you’d love to make an adorable dessert, but don’t quite have time to throw a whole cake in the oven.
Here’s how to prepare it!
How To Make Apple Nachos
As per usual, nothing too out-of-the-ordinary here. You can pick most of this up at your local grocery store!
- Granny Smith apples: You can honestly use your favorite kind of apple here, but we highly recommend Granny Smith…they’re tart and juicy, contrasting beautifully with the sweet caramel topping.
- Lemon juice: Optional, but this prevents your apples from browning too quickly.
- White chocolate chips, chocolate sauce, caramel topping: You’ll drizzle these on your apple slices like you’d put salsa, cheese, and guacamole on normal nachos!
- Our Fall Mix Crispy Sprinkles and/or our Feastin’ Season Sprinkle Mix: For adorable fall colors to top your apple nachos! We made these mixes specifically for the autumn season, so we recommend picking them up at our store.
- Squeeze bottles and decorator bag: These are optional, but make it easier to drizzle your sauces/toppings on the apple slices.
- Microwave-safe bowl: For melting the chocolate chips.
Apple Nachos Recipe: Variations
In this recipe, we top our apple nachos with caramel and chocolate, as well as with our Fall Mix Crispy Sprinkles and/or our Feastin’ Season Sprinkle Mix. However, there’s plenty of ways you can get creative with this dessert.
Some additional toppings you can try:
- Cinnamon (or another spice you love!)
- White chocolate
- Shredded coconut
- Nut butters such as peanut butter or almond butter, or even Nutella
- Maple syrup
- Any chopped chocolate candy bars (leftover Halloween goods, anyone?)
- Raisins or craisins
- Peanuts, cashews, etc
- Marshmallows, whole or melted
And other sprinkles:
(While these apples taste best during fall, in our opinion, you can prepare this treat at any time of year. Nothing’s stopping you!)
- For spring-themed apples, try our Berry Bliss sprinkles mix!
- Birthday Cake sprinkles mix apples would go over well on someone’s special day.
- Use School Days sprinkles for a delightful back-to-school treat.
Since ‘apple nachos’ is basically a fancy way of saying ‘adorable sliced apples with tasty stuff on them,’ you can definitely use your culinary imagination here.
In this section you’ll find answers to a few common questions we get about this recipe.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
Apples are naturally gluten-free, but your caramel, chocolate, etc may not be. If you have dietary restrictions, always check the packaging before using any product in a dessert you intend to be gluten-free!
Is this recipe vegan, dairy-free, etc?
It isn’t, nor can we particularly recommend any vegan/dairy-free/etc substitutions, as we haven’t tried them. If you switch out any ingredients for dietary purposes, please let us know in the comments, as we’d love to spread the word!
What kind of chocolate do you recommend using?
Semi-sweet chocolate chips tend to work best in the recipe, but go with your gut (and tongue) on this one!
Like we said, ‘dessert nachos’ are an interesting concept you don’t see every day…especially not relatively healthy ones! But what better way to expand your culinary horizons than with tasty tasty apple nachos? Leave a comment down below about this recipe. Did you have any trouble with it? How did your loved ones like it? We’d love to hear from you!
We’ve got a lot of desserts here on Sweets and Treats just like these apple nachos! In particular, we recommend checking out…
- Chocolate Covered Bananas
- Strawberry Banana Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cake Cookies
- Fruit Kabobs, Banana Split Style
- ● 4 apples, Granny Smith, cored and sliced thinly
- ● ¼ cup lemon juice, optional
- ● ¾ cup white chocolate chips, melted
- ● ¾ cup caramel topping, warmed
- ● ¾ cup chocolate sauce
- ● Fall Mix Crispy Sprinkles
- ● Feastin’ Season Sprinkle Mix
- ● 2 small plastic squeeze bottles, optional
- ● 1 plastic decorator bag with small round tip, optional
- Core and slice apples
- Add lemon juice if you like, this will prevent browning
- Lay apple slices on round plate or platter
- In a small microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips for 1 minute, stir and continue heating for 20-30 seconds, stirring after each heating until almost melted. Stir until completely smooth
- Transfer melted chocolate to a plastic decorator bag fitted with a small round tip. You can also drizzle the chocolate on with a spoon, however the plastic bag is easier.
- Transfer caramel topping and chocolate sauce into separate plastic squeeze bottles, again you can use a spoon to drizzle
- Drizzle apples with chocolate, caramel topping and chocolate sauce
- Immediately add sprinkles
- Serve immediately